Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redjeep57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 04:11 PM
    linear inheritance
    My father passed away in 1970 and his estate was settled and closed in a year. All inheritance and estate taxes were paid and accepted. His mother, my grandmother, died in 1990 and had 9 heirs. Unfortunately, it has taken until now to settle this estate. All the taxes have been paid and accepted and it is ready for dispersion. We have heard conflicting stories. The attorney for my grandmother's estate said my father's estate has to be reopened and inheritance tax must be paid again. My mother's attorney said that since this a linear inheritance (mother to son to grandchildren) the estate does not have to be reopened and it is not necessary to tax it twice. Who is right? This is in PA and our share of the 444,400.00 (down from 1,000,000.00) and my siblings will receive 44,400 to split 6 ways. Our father's estate was valued at 175,000.00. Any help is greatly appreciated
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2009, 08:01 PM

If your father's estate was legally closed I see absolutely no reason or circumstanc why it would be reopened at this time - none at all.

The estate Attorney for the person who died last would decide how to proceed - and that appears to be the Attorney for your Grandmother's estate. Ask him/her why he/she feels that your father's estate would have to be reopened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Linear Demand [ 1 Answers ]

Building EXIT signs are being sold. At a price of $19.75 per sign, 42 signs can be sold and at a price of $48.15 per sign, 33 signs can be sold. Assuming linear demand, what is the price that should be charged, to the nearest penny, if 6 signs are to be sold?

Linear functions [ 2 Answers ]

find the 2 equations of lines 1 and 2 as shown on the graph(the picture).. the 4 numbers on the graph are 5(top-most number on the y-axis), -5 (left number on the x-axis), 5 (right number on the x-axis), -5(bottom number on the y-axis).. I'm just saying this because the numbers on the picture are...

Linear equtions [ 4 Answers ]

Find the missing values that solve this equation. y = 3x (0, ____) (-1,____) (7,____) Find the missing values that solve this equation. y = 5 -4x (5, ____) (1, ____) (-1, ____)

Linear system [ 1 Answers ]

use substitution to find (x,y) where each pair of lines interesct. y=-2+3(x-7) y=10-5x

View more questions Search