Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katie-x Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 04:54 AM
    The beatles lucy in the sky with diamonds
    Why was the song lucy in the sky with diamonds sung by the beatles banned?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 04:59 AM

Didn't know it was banned, had the Album and heard many times. The Title was to stand for LSD. But recently saw "Lucy" who the song was about. Who knows the truth?
    katie-x Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 05:05 AM

Thanks stratmando, I didn't know it was banned either my boyfriend reckons it is due to the contents of the sond being about drugs but I can't find anything on the internet to suggest it was. I'm 20 and have started listening to the beatles and john lennon. I think their music is so inspirational and love it!
    lateleigh Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 11:13 PM
    The song Lucy In the Sky was banned from radio play in the US for a very short time in the 60s. Back then many radio DJs and fans would spend ages going through Beatles songs looking for hidden meanings and messages. The "LSD" comment was correct, but John Lennon defended the song saying it had nothing to do with LSD or acid or any drugs, it was inspired by looking at his son Julian's childhood paintings. Julian painted a picture of a girl floating in the air surrounded by diamond shapes. John simply tried to make a song from the point of view of a child making a painting. It didn't have to make sense beyond the creator's imagination. It was a perfectly innocent way of making music, but the shock-jock DJs wanted to hang on The Beatles. The band famously did use hallucinagenic drugs, and no doubt it did affect their music. It's funny though because even John Lennon's "Imagine" was banned from radio play in the US, not because of any drug references, but because John sings "Imagine no religion" and it was thought that it was too anti-Christian or whatever those idiots thought.

Leigh
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2009, 06:02 AM

Lucy who inspired Beatles song 'seriously ill', says Julian Lennon - Telegraph
    Hope she gets better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lucy the Robot! [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody please tell me the name of the American series that was about a little girl called Lucy (I'm pretty sure!) She was a robot but looked and acted like a human, had blonde hair and wore a red dress. She lived with a normal american family. Nobody seems to remember it!

Best beatles song [ 1 Answers ]

I've just got the new beatles album love and its absolutley amazing. My question is which is the best ever beatles song and what's the most underated? The best in my opinion is let it be and the most underated is ob la de ob la da

Beatles-kinks duet? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi people.I downloaded this song listed as a beatles-kinks duet on limewire.I am guessing it is't a beatles-kinks duet though.it sounds like just the kinks.am sorry am not being much help not knowing the lyrics of the song either.the few words that I caught aren't enuff to make sense of.Do let me...

The Beatles [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering what is trhe rarest Beatle 45 & Lp and what the value of those records would be today?

View more questions Search