Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amaryes23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2009, 08:02 PM
    Terms of a Lease ending.
    My roommate and I signed a lease last year in July 2008 and we are in the process of buying a house and should close on July 9th 2009. Our Lease states it ends on July 22, 2009 and this end date was hand written and initialed by the owner of the condo we are renting from. The problem we are running into now the realtor who represents for her states he made the mistake and should be August 22, 2009. This is a problem because we have been emailing him asking if we could vacate by July 15, 2009. We never heard anything from him and the lease states we must give a written 30 day notice we are going to vacate. Do we have legal rights to leave and only pay up till July 22, 2009 when our lease states July 22, 2009 our lease ends and the owner initialed the date when the lease was signed at the beginning of the lease? We live in Clearwater Florida and the owner of the condo lives in Colorado.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 06:20 AM

Hello:

In real estate, what's written take precedence over what is spoken. I would continue to do as you planned. If there's a problem, he'll sue you and you can tell the judge...

If he keeps your security deposit, then you sue him. Same thing. The judge will agree with you.

excon
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 01:42 PM

Indeed, it won't let me agree with you excon but yes, if your lease is signed by all parties involved and it says it ends on July 22 then your fine. It sounds like they are just trying to squeeze an extra rent payment out of you. When did your lease start?

In any case it doesn't matter, tell them all that matters is what is written on the lease and if they made a paperwork error a year ago it's too late to fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord breaks terms of lease! Terms for early termination or lease? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Myself and my roommates lease an apartment from our landlord. The building we live in is brand new and we are the first tenets to live in the apartment. There are two apartments in the second story. The landlord also has an office/bar/living area in the front of the building, also on the...

Lease Terms [ 4 Answers ]

Does a year to year lease automatically go to a month to month if it is not specified in the year lease?

Lease dates - terms [ 2 Answers ]

If a supossed lease is written to be in effect from 2-1-07 to 1-30-07 by error, is it a valid contract or void on its face?

Terms of Breaking a Lease [ 6 Answers ]

I need to break my lease in Florida. My lease if for 1 year. In my lease it doesn't specify what is done when a lease is broken. It does say that it follows Florida Statute Chapter 83 section II for everything not covered in the lease. I read through the chapter and it doesn't say what happens when...

Lease terms with new owners [ 5 Answers ]

I'm considering buying a duplex in Iowa that currently has tenants that are both just into year leases... 9 mo left and 11 mo left. I'm looking for a property for my mother and her sister to live. This one would meet their needs, but needs some TLC. 1) Am I correct in understanding that...

View more questions Search