Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamu45 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 07:57 AM
    Brick Patio Sand kicking up after rain storms
    We built a brick patio last weekend. We started by laying rock and then sand in the alloted space, added the brick, then put more sand between the cracks. After that we laid a cement sealant, watered it down, brushed it off, and repeated several times. Now when we have rain storms, it kicks all the sand all over the patio. Any suggestions?
    roh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tamu45 View Post
    We built a brick patio last weekend. We started by laying rock and then sand in the alloted space, added the brick, then put more sand between the cracks. After that we layed a cement sealant, watered it down, brushed it off, and repeated several times. Now when we have rain storms, it kicks all the sand all over the patio. Any suggestions?
    Is brick patio graded?

Jun 18, 2009, 10:26 AM
    No
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 10:33 AM

This will slowly diminish and eventually stop. Did you place a fabric between your gravel and the sand?

Jun 18, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    This will slowly diminish and eventually stop. Did you place a fabric between your gravel and the sand??
    We did not put fabric down. I also just found out we were supposed to make it "rain" on the patio after the sealer, which we didn't do. We just had the hose pointed at the patio the whole time. Do you think we need to add more sealant and have it "rain"?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 10:45 AM

I think you should have used a fabric under the sand. Down the road your will likely have a bigger problem than the current sand issue. The sealer isn't causing this problem and likely can't prevent it. We use a vibrating plate machine to shake the loose sand between the bricks to lock them in place. Time, rain garvity will get your excess sand to settle. However, with no fabric the sand will be very wet with each rain and slowly wash into and through the gravel. Too late now but next time lay fabric on top of the gravel.

Jun 18, 2009, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I think you should have used a fabric under the sand. Down the road your will likely have a bigger problem than the current sand issue. The sealer isn't causing this problem and likely can't prevent it. We use a vibrating plate machine to shake the loose sand between the bricks to lock them in place. Time, rain garvity will get your excess sand to settle. However, with no fabric the sand will be very wet with each rain and slowly wash into and through the gravel. Too late now but next time lay fabric on top of the gravel.
    Thanks so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning a brick driveway with sand grout. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, does anybody know the best way to clean a brick driveway with a power washer without pushing out the sand grout? And what is the best way to seal a brick drive way? Thanks

How to clean red brick patio [ 1 Answers ]

How to clean red brick patio

Leveling sand for flagstone patio [ 16 Answers ]

Hopefully this will be the only HoneyDo item for the summer. I've seen a dozen websites about this but none of them really answer for me "what do I do now?". I need to make this area almost level but slope a but away from the house. I'm out there now pulling it back toward the house with a 2x4...

Concrete/Brick Patio [ 1 Answers ]

We're laying brick next to a 10x10 concrete slab. Is there some sort of paint/stain that can be put onto the concrete to make it look closer in color to the brick? Is it possible to create patterns?

View more questions Search