Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    candyfloss7 Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Jun 18, 2009, 03:08 AM
    Debts acquired before marriage - who is responsible
    My husband co-signed a high loan before we were married , could I be held responsible in any way to pay it should my husband pass away or fail to make the payments ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 04:00 AM

If in the US it can depend on the state you live in.

If he dies, then his estate will have to pay these debts before you get the estate.

Jun 18, 2009, 04:36 AM
    I understand now the estate would have to pay the loan in the event of hiis death, what about before death , can anything be taken from my money account beforehand when he is alive ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2009, 06:16 AM

Hello c:

Even in community property states, the property that is considered community, is that property which was acquired during the marriage. Property (and debt) acquired before the marriage remains that spouse's separate property (debt).

So, the answer is no.

excon

PS> I will add, that if he's been sued and a judgment has been rendered, money YOU have in JOINT accounts is subject to collection.

Jun 18, 2009, 07:04 AM
    Thank you , that helped me , I feel a little more assurred now .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why am I responsible for deceased husband's debts [ 1 Answers ]

Why is community property only considered community when it comes to paying the debt? My husband had his own credit cards, I couldn't use them. He passed away, and the creditors want me to pay them, they're shouting community property, although I can't and couldn't use them in California ...

Responsible for dependents' debts? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been claiming my live-in boyfriend as a dependent. He has cancer and has not been able to work. He has mounting medical bills. Can I be held responsible for these debts because of claiming him as a dependent on my taxes?

Am I Going To Legally Responsible For Her Debts? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I've been hooked up with a lady for over 12 years now and we're beginning to talk marriage. Problem is that she has a huge backlog of bills and debts while I own my home clear, have no outstanding bills and have a AAA credit rating. Question; If we got married would I be responsible...

Wife acquired china [ 1 Answers ]

I may not have enough info or be able to describe it welll enough for anyone to know but here goes. My wife acquired china from a relative, we are looking to sell it (if it is even worht anything). 1. from Kobenhaven (the marking on it is KJ - a weird symbol like an o - BENHAVN. 2. it has...

View more questions Search