Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sniperblade9 Posts: 138, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 09:09 PM
    I Want To Be A Guitarist
    I want to be a guitarist and I don't know how to really start or where I could get lessons. I do have a guitar and I just don't know what to do...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 09:33 PM

Hi, sniperblade9!

What kind of guitar playing is it that you would like to do, please? Also, what kind of guitar is it that you have - acoustic, electric, six-string or four-string, etc.

Thanks!

Jun 16, 2009, 06:21 PM
    I would like to play electric but right now I have a 6 string guitar checkmate brand. I really want to learn how to just don't have hardly any music experience. I know I need to learn the strings and everything but it gets complicated when you are not exactly sure and know a more simple way to do it.
    jinxprotocol Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Jun 16, 2009, 06:53 PM

Practice! Playing guitar is a long, slow process. There are a multitude of sites online dealing with how to play the guitar. Other people may advocate learning some music theory, but I don't. I've been playing guitar for about ten years, and I started with an $89 guitar my mom bought me. I learned some chords - G E D C, to begin with - and I played them over and over in my bedroom. Then I moved on to more chords and looked up how to play songs.

Another thing I did was watch a ton of people play guitar. Anytime I saw someone playing guitar, I paid attention to what they were doing. It didn't matter if it was on MTV or in person at a friend's house. I watched to see if there was anything I could mimic, and even when I couldn't, I would still try!

The big thing, though, is that you begin the process of learning some chords so that you get a feel for strumming. Until then, you can just sit down and make some noise on the guitar. This early on, you're not likely to learn too many irreversible habits, so fram away!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 07:38 PM

Lessons, look at www.craigslist.com to see who has them in your area. Check with local music stores, most give lessons.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2009, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperblade9 View Post
    i would like to play electric but right now i have a 6 string guitar checkmate brand. i really want to learn how to just don't have hardly any music experiance. i know i need to learn the strings and everything but it gets complicated when you are not exactly sure and know a more simple way to do it.
    Hi again, sniperblade9!

If you would like, I can teach you basic music theory on this site and also basic guitar. I know that this would work.

However, as far as getting more advanced on the guitar and the physical things that would need to be observed, it would be best to have a teacher who can show you things and see what you're doing, in person.

I had asked you what kind of guitar playing it would be that you'd like to learn. I would appreciate an answer to that question.

If you're interested in getting some free help on this site, please let me know on this thread.

Thanks!
    chemicalali Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Jinx is 100% correct when he says that "Practice! Playing guitar is a long, slow process.", but that's not to say that its not an enjoyable one!

Even the big guns like Keith Richards, Jimmy Page and David Gilmour, freely admit that they are still learning new things.

Jinx is also right in suggesting that you should learn some first position "cowboy" chords and just strum away - you'll be amazed at how many somgs are actually made up from these first chords you'll learn.

Guitar Lesson One - Music

Don't worry about the theory for now, learn to make the noise first, then later, if you're so inclined, you can always learn why some notes sound better together.

Most importantly:

1) Don't worry that your fingers don't move fast enough or that you can't twist them into the "unnatural" shapes required to form the chords. Muscle memory is a pretty amazing thing, eventually you'll be able to do it without looking!

2) Don't give up because your fingers hurt! If you keep practicing, your fretting hand will soon grow much stronger and you'll develop calluses on your fingertips :D

Stick with it - it'll become the habit of a lifetime!
    mugger Posts: 191, Reputation: 26

Jun 17, 2009, 10:21 AM

Guitar is one of the most exciting instruments I ever learned to play. Practice as much as you can. You can usually find the Mel Bay guitar instruction books at your local instrument store. They might sound silly, but you learn the fundamentals from those books. Also, guitar magazines have tablature, and most of the time, chord diagrams which come in very handy.

Jun 18, 2009, 12:21 AM

I would love to learn the basics. I should probably try to learn what cords and the string names are first though... I have a ways to go..
    mugger Posts: 191, Reputation: 26

Jun 18, 2009, 12:51 PM

From the thinnest string and up is E-B-G-D-A-E.
    Definitely get some books and learn the notes and basic chords. Once you have all that down, learn variations and movable chords. You'll be well on your way then and move on to scales. Good luck!
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2009, 04:24 PM

Hi again, sniperblade9!

I hope that you return to here! My offer still stands!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search