Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MinnieHomowner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 01:37 PM
    Replacing Iron 2" Boiler Pipes with 3/4" Copper
    I am remodeling my basement and want to replace my old head-height radiator system pipes with copper pipes that I can run between the joists and out of the way. The system is an old gravity system, but now has a new-ish boiler with a pump. The return pipes into the boiler are converted to 3/4" right at the boiler, and the outgoing pipe from the boiler is 1 inch, but quickly converts to 3 separate 2 1/2" systems that each feed 2 - 4 radiators.
    Can I use 3/4" copper pipes and run them through the joists to the 1 1/4" pipes that head up to the radiators? I am worried about balance to the first and second floors and wonder if temperature loss in returning water will be an issue.
    Thanks!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 02:24 PM
    The smaller diameter pipe will not carry the same amount of heat as the larger pipes. Since the boiler discharge is 1 inch you can probably get by with 3/4 inch pipes BUT I would come off the 1 inch boiler line with a 2 tee setup and feed the 3 separate 2 and 1/2 lines with its each 3/4 line just to be sure of capacity. You can also put valves in the 3/4 lines to be able to adjust each run of heat to balance the system. Make sure all the air vents in the system are working correctly and if you need more now is the time to add them at the highest piping location. If you put auto bleed valves at the top of the system it will be a snap to get and keep the air vented out of the system.

In the real world I would do a calculation on all the needed BTU's and calculate the pipe from there but the system I described above should do the trick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace 1.5" galvanized steel (male threads) to 4" cast iron stack [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace a drain line from an old double cast iron kitchen sink. The existing pipe is 1.5" galvanized steel which threads directly into female threads on a 4" cast iron stack. The male threads of the galvanized pipe broke off in the cast iron. I'm guessing the easiest solution is to...

Adding a PVC "Y" to a underground Cast iron pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have a house built in 1962. The cast iron waste pipe runs under the concrete slab in the basement. I have already dug and confirmed the location I want to cut a section out of the pipe and install a "Y" connector and run new plastic waste pipes to a new bath. I have seen PVC connectors that...

How do I "connect 1/2" copper to 1/2" flexible plastic"? Anyone? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Experts... Amateur (very amateur!! ) plumber needing some advice: Bought an old 2 1/2 storey house, and somebody ran some copper into the uninsulated side attic to feed the hot & cold water to a sink. This might not be a problem in California, but it sure is North of the border in...

View more questions Search