Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunday morning Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 09:17 AM
    American Std. 16 seer vs. 14 with variable spd fan ,which would u install if $ close
    We are replacing an old 3 tn. All in one HVAC system and we live in high humidity area. The purchase price difference between the 14 seer with a variable speed fan and the 16 seer with variable speed is $900 . The plan is to stay in this home for another 15 years . We are thinking the new technology [ 16 seer ] may be the way to go . Which would you recommend and why ?
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Jun 15, 2009, 11:20 AM

For that small a price delta I would go with the 16 SEER since with the $1500 fed credit it will cost you less than the 14 SEER. You should also see between 10%-15% reduction in your operating cost, which over 15 years should yield added savings.

Before you agreed to the VS blower, be sure it will work with you duct work. I recall reading some issues but don't recall what they were. Also know that VS blower are pricey to replace if it ever goes.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 02:27 PM
    If you can stay away from the variable speed fan system I would. When the parts and labor warranty is up it will cost BIG bucks to repair it. dac122 has it correct on thr SEER thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

13 seer AC unit with 10 Seer Coil is this possible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently in the process of getting quotes on a new AC Unit. I am looking at a 2.5 ton, 13/14 seer unit. When talking to the guys who do the quotes I have gotten mixed answers on a couple things. My unit is 18 years old and the motor broke. 1. If I get a new AC unit for the outside that...

12 Seer vs 14 Seer cost saving [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old 3.5 ton 12 seer Carrier electric heat pump. I'm told that parts are rusting (coils?), it has a small refrigerant leak and basically it's got about 1-2 years left. I have a quote for a 3.5 ton 14 seer Carrier Performance series ($8,000, installed) and I'm being told that the...

14 SEER vs 15 SEER Trane Heat Pump [ 2 Answers ]

I received two quotes for a 14 and a 15 SEER Trane R410A heat pump. The price difference was $2900 between the two quotes (there's duct work $$ in the quote as I am doing a major remodel and adding lots of new space) The question is should I ave the $2900 or does the extra efficieny pay off? ...

Air handler seer 10? WIll it be OK with a seer 13 heat pump. [ 1 Answers ]

We are replacing our old heat pump... the air handler was replaced 4 years ago and is good condition. Everyone wants us to replace our hole unit and we really don't want to put out that much $$ at this time. Can we just replace the Heat pump? Or do we have to replace both. Everyone says they...

Amana 16 seer vs trane 14 seer [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to replace 2 evaporative coolers with a 3 ton and a 4 ton ac split units Which includes swapping out the old furnaces. I have been given 2 choices amana 16 seer 2 speed compressor of 14 seer trane with 1 speed compressor. Which is best?

View more questions Search