Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rgellman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 12:54 PM
    Can a GFCI be controlled by a switch?
    I currently have a vanity with a built in light and a built in outlet that is turned on and off by a light switch near the door. I want to remove the vanity, install a GFCI outlet and wire in two new lighting fixtures.

I recently read that a GFCI outlet should not be controlled by a switch, but I couldn't figure out why... is that a bad idea? Currently, it appears it's my only solution - so that turning on and off the switch near the door will cut power to the new lights AND the GFCI switch. I'm OK with that as long as it's safe.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 01:24 PM
    It's safe , but it's not legal if the circuit is shared with other rooms, which from the sound of it it probably is.
    kich1031 Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Jun 13, 2009, 06:52 PM

Can you remove the single gang switch box and install a 2 gang old work box and wire the switch parallel with the gfci?
    rgellman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 08:41 PM
    So if it's safe, why wouldn't it be legal? Just curious...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 04:04 AM
    The issue that Stan mentions is not legal is that a outlet circuit for a bathroom is to be dedicated for bathroom outlets, and not lighting.

Once 20 amp circuit can feed one or more outlets in one or more bathrooms.

One 20 amp circuit can feed outlets in one bathroom, and the lights and fan in that one bathroom. No other lights or outlets can be on that circuit, or vice versa.

As far as a switch controlling a GFI, I see no problem with that. I also don't see any reason for it, if you wire it properly you can have constant power at the GFI leaving the switch to control only the lights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical outlet controlled by a switch issues [ 11 Answers ]

Hello! I've a pair of outlets in the kitchen where the top one is always hot and the bottom one is controlled by a switch. The switch stopped working and the bottom is always dead. Suspecting the outlet (and not the switch) was bad I replaced the outlet with a new one and connected everything as...

Do I need a light switch for a remote controlled ceiling fan? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to have a ceiling fan installed in a room with no previous overhead lighting/light switch. Electrician will have to go into attic to run wires for electricity from one of several other overhead light fixtures in other rooms. If I purchase a remote controlled ceiling fan will I also have to...

Switch controlled outlet to constant power [ 1 Answers ]

I have an electrical outlet in living room which has top half controlled by switch and bottom half has constant power. The switch controls 4 other outlets in the room in the same fashion. I would like to make this outlet have constant power to the top and bottom. Is this an easy fix?

Outlet Controlled by a Switch [ 4 Answers ]

I replaced the electrical outlets in a room I recently had dry-walled. One of the outlets I replaced was partially (1 of the 2 receptacles) controlled by a wall switch. I hooked the new outlet up exactly as the old one was, but now the outlet is on all of the time. The wall switch no longer...

Wiring Remote Controlled fan to Three-Way Wall Switch [ 23 Answers ]

We recently purchased a couple of Hunter ceiling fans which came with remotes. I didn't realize this at the time, but supposedly you can't hard-wire the fans to three-way wall switches because they came with remotes. The problem with this is we have to fumble for the remote every time we go to our...

View more questions Search