Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momoflttlmeans Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2009, 08:39 AM
    Personal fundraising accounts
    We are a family that falls below the federal poverty guidelines. As a result, our children are often unable to participate in certain activities that their peers can afford to be involved in. The activities I am referring to are church related such as camp and mission trips. My family and I recently raised $100 through fundraising, but were unable to come up with the remaining balance for camp, and therefore my daughter will not be attending camp next week with her friends. Although the church offered her a scholarship today, it is too late as 15 minutes prior I made arrangements for one of her friends (whose mother is on a mission trip with her teens next week) to stay with us. When I asked if the money could be applied to my eldest daughters camp later in the year, I was told that the fundraising was only for that group of children and therefore the money we had earned would automatically be applied to the general camp scholarship fund. Although I am trying not to be, I am a bit upset as my grandmother who is 83 years young bought multiple family fun day cards for bowling and laser tag (which she obviously won't use) to ensure that my children get to camp. Furthermore, all three of my children worked so very hard to raise the funds and feel a bit ripped off. I explained that maybe another child who needed this experience far more than them would benefit as a result of their hard work.

My eldest daughter also had to miss out on a missions trip this year due very short notice to raise over $500 (less than 6 months notice). I am not lazy and do not mind fundraising for our children. I do not expect or desire charity either. I just want my children to be able to share in the experiences, and help others through missions.

That's when I began wondering how an organization can go about setting up family fundraising accounts. I don't wish to be rude, but there are many out there, even those whose families go to church that do not mind asking for funds but are unwilling to work for them. I want to ensure that my childrens' hard work rewards them as well. Is there a way in which our church can set up accounts for each FAMILY, that would allow funds to be used only for enrichment (such as camp or conferences) and for missions trips? I know missions donations are tax free but am unsure as to whether personal use for camp is handled in the same manner. Furthermore, if an excess accumulates and the family so desires, they could sponsor others or donate to specific causes such as school supplies for others in the community, adopting needy families for christmas etc... How would one go about setting up such a program?

Not only would such a program benefit those involved, but it would free up additional church funds currently being dished out in the form of scholarships with no questions asked. The church could even require that those seeking scholarships must be involved in a certain number of fundraising opportunities/calendar year if they wish to apply for additional help. I am aware that it is more difficult for the financially indigent to raise funds as their social/family often consists of those of similar financial means. Yet, the church could contract out jobs as well such as a spring cleaning drive in which the children are paid minimal amounts to assist in grounds cleanup, wall washing etc. Either way the church is willing to dish out funds in the form of scholarship, why not get something out of it. Furthermore, those families who feel guilty about accepting help would feel as though they had at least worked to earn their way, and those who don't may not be as likely to accept the funds.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 12:42 PM

It sounds like there are three issues that you would like addressed:

1. Can a charitable organization such as a church set up fund acounts to benefit specific children or families? The answer is no - this would be seen as discriminatory. The closest that they can do is set up an account to benefit a certain class of children, but they can not set up accounts by name. Reason is that any money raised in the name of a particular child would be considered a gift to that child, and hence not a charitable donation.

2. Can money raised for one particular purpose (in this case to support a mission trip in June) be used for another purpose (such as a different mission trip later in the summer)? The answer is it that depends on the specific policies that have been adopted by the organization. Ideally they woud have a well-defined policy that states something like: "any excess donations collected for one mission trip will be put into the general fund," or "any excess donations collected for one trip will be rolled over to suport the next trip." So off hand it sounds like they have done the proper thing - they have a policy which they are following, which puts the money into the general lfund. Policies like this are intended to avoid second-guessing or charges of favoritism, and ensure that donrs know ahead oftime what's going to happen to their donations.

3. As for your suggestion that scholarship recipients should be required to put in a minimum number of work hours in order to qualify for aid from the church: that is certainly something that could be done - all it takes is for the church leadership to adopt this as the policy going forward.

Jun 11, 2009, 03:07 PM

Thanks for your response. I was hoping for fundraising accounts that anyone regardless of economic status could utilize. Similar in fashion to school fundraising accounts for sports, band, etc. Not those in which you ask for a donation (as often done for missions) rather funds obtained by selling items, hosting a rummage sale, car washing, grocery bagging, entertainment book sales, discount cards etc. When I was in school, my mother required that I contribute if I desired to be in multiple extracurricular activities. Although she could have paid for it, it taught a valuable lesson and ensured that I indeed intended to commit myself to the activity. The funds raised from such activities went into a single account, and anyone was eligible to open such an account. When it came time for away games, tournaments, uniform fees, certain band costs and such, my mother would fill out a request form to have only approved fees drafted from the fundraising account.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 06:12 PM

I guess what jumps to me, if "grandma" could buy all of those tickets she will not use, why could she just not write a check to you for the amount of tickets she bought, most likely more than enough to cover a lot of the costs.

The next, so you called the other family and tell them that the camp got approved and let her go with the scholarship.
    Sounds like the church was doing all it can.

Your issues are all local church rules and they are free to do as they wish. The rules should be clear

Jun 11, 2009, 09:28 PM

I wasn't complaining Mr. Chuck. This is the first time the church has offered a fundraising opportunity such as this. No rules were given, no expectations were stated. I was just looking for an alternate way in which we could contribute, and rather than whine about it, I would prefer to do what I can to get my children to camp. What I was initially asking is how to start something similar to the ways in which many schools and other organizations work, and if a similar model could be applied in a church. As for gma she too believes that things should not just be handed out to children who are capable of fundraising and learning to appreciate that certain things do not come without effort.
    chico722 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2012, 01:38 PM
    Well I have helped collect for church trips,sometimes lets just say ,church collect 500 dollars from every child,they have plenty of money let over,in otherwords,the child doesn't spend all 500,I'm pretty they could have taken a child on the trip with all those ,take 5 kids at 500,that's 2500 dollarsm you can't tell me that 5 kids will spend 2500 just by thenselves,I know that they can help pay for a childth less fortunate, the money left over they just apply it to their church fund,or bills,point is the church doesn't about the issue that not everyone has that kind of money to dish out,personally if one comes to me and want to go on a trip,policies are OK,the church leaves that child broken hearted,and if that child is a member of their church,they''ll feel abandoned by the church,as for you mr pastor,I'm pretty sure you can talk them into letting that child go on the trip;

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business bank accounts/assets vs. Personal judgment [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, first time here... I have an LLC in Florida, can my business bank account be frozen or seized and can they take my equipment and business assets? I also have a sole proprietorship but this business doesn't have much going for it at the moment - is it at risk? I have a large judgment I am...

Personal Fundraising? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I was wondering if it would be possible to fundraise for one's own family. I'm trying to help my son financially. He needs to go to the next step in his career which is in the music industry. He's very talented and I'm so proud of him. He went out to LA from NY last year and, like all...

Nonprofit fundraising [ 1 Answers ]

How does my parents association become non-profit in order to fundraise legally

Freezing joint personal checking accounts [ 1 Answers ]

Can a creditor freeze a joint personal account if only one person has a judgement against them?

View more questions Search