Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eightiesDude Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 09:12 AM
    International money transfer
    I am a US citizen living in the states. I am to receive a lot of gift money from a relative oversees, who is not a citizen of the US. Is there a maximum international wire transfer amount allowed per year or per life-time? Is any this going to be taxed?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 09:20 AM

In Canada a gift of money isn't taxable, but financial institution should be alerted with proper documentation. They are bound by law to report any unusual large amount of money coming from off shore sources because of money laundering schemes. I would suggest you check with your bank for proper procedure.

Tick
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 10:44 AM

The receiver of the gift does not pay any tax in the U.S.
    However, if the gift amount exceeds about $100,000, then you must file Form 3520.
    Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Gift Tax
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 01:23 PM

No maximum amount allowed. As MukatA points out, Form 3520, Part IV may be required.

Also, make sure this is not a scam. Hopefully you knew about the relative before they left you all this money.
    lhk99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 08:18 AM
    Do I need to pay taxes if I inherited us 3.7million from saxon bank in spain?
    lhk99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 08:22 AM
    Do I need to pay taxes if I inherited us3.7million from Saxon bank in Spain

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International Wire Transfer Fees [ 10 Answers ]

I work for a company that insists on charging our international customers any and all wire transfer fees charged to us. All of my intl customers say this is horrible and no other US company treats them this way. Does anyone have any input, fair trade information, suggested reading or experience...

International Wire Transfer Fees? [ 1 Answers ]

I will be working for a company based in Europe. They will pay me monthly via an international wire transfer to my US-based bank account. I have just found out that my bank charges a whopping $50 per incoming wire transfer. My question is - are there any other banks that offer FREE international...

International wire transfer fee [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I want to send 2500 US dollars to China, how much fee should I pay, I want to choose a cheapest way, and which bank would be the cheapest, such as western union, city back or back of America? Thanks

International wire transfer [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a bank or banking service that either charges a minimal amount Or no charge for an international wire transfer. I recently conducted one at my bank, and The bank got $45 (USD) for the transfer, and by the time the money reached the foreign bank, $32 (USD) were missing from...

View more questions Search