Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    surabhi27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 08:30 AM
    Tax returns(Federal and State) for employee under OPT and H1B
    Hi.

I am from India and working as an full time employee towards a State University under my OPT.

my Gross income is <= 50k and I live in Michigan.

I know I am exempt from Social Security and Medicare Taxes under OPT. But I am not sure If I will get full tax refund of both Federal and State taxes.

Would this all change if I convert my visa to H1B

Thank you
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 12:36 PM
    You will NOT get a full refund of the state and federal income taxes, because you ARE liable to pay income taxes to both the IRS and the state of Michigan.

Once you switch to an H-1B visa, you also become liable for FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the state court take your Federal tax returns for restitution? [ 13 Answers ]

In the state of MN. If you owe restitution on a case that is not federal/or child support, Can the state order all tax refunds to be garnished including federal? In my case I gave them my State Tax return and had kept my federal tax return and it went against my probation as a violation

Resubmitting Federal and State tax returns [ 1 Answers ]

I am a permanent resident in USA for last 5 years and have sumitted Federal and State tax returns on regular basis jointly with my spouse. We even got our tax refunds as and when applicable. We now realize that we probably should have some alterations, and may like to resubmit some of those...

Can you file joint Federal returns and separate State Tax Returns [ 1 Answers ]

We lived in different cities so can we file joint federal returns and separate state returns??

State and Federal tax returns - Itemized deductions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am Non-Resident alien from India and will file Federal tax return using 1040NR-EZ. Per Publication 519, there is provision to claim only itemized deductions by non-students from India (being non-resident alient, I cannot claim standard deduction). It also states itemized deductions...

Wife on H4, need to file 3 state returns and 1 federal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello There, I am on H1B Work Visa since last 3.5 years now and have been filing tax return as single since last 3 years. I got married on Dec 29th 2005 in India and have marriage certificate from india. My spouse is a Malaysian Citizen born and brought up there. She came to USA on H4...

View more questions Search