Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdonnadurk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Graduation Gift without graduating!
    Hi all,

Hope you all can help. My niece is “walking” with her class for graduation but has not fulfilled the graduation requirements and therefore is not actually graduating. Assuming she fulfills those requirements she would receive her diploma at that time.

I would under normal circumstance send a cash gift for a graduation but wonder whether this would be appropriate in this situation. Should I wait and send one when she actually graduates or just send one in time for the actual ceremony. I have received no announcement or invitation but have been told that she is participating in the ceremony.

Thanks
    TJ17 Posts: 76, Reputation: 13

Jun 10, 2009, 07:21 AM

You answered your own question, "has not fulfilled the graduation requirements and therefore is not actually graduating"

"Assuming she fulfills those requirements she would receive her diploma at that time"

....now change "Diploma" to "Gift", and you'll have your answer. ;)
    me123abc Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2009, 03:36 PM

Not graduating, no gift! If you give her one without actually graduating it is sending her the message that she does not actually have to complete the task to win.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 04:10 PM

Sorry no she is not graduating, and in fact I disagree with allowing her to "walk though" graduation is for those that fulfilled all their requirements

No gifts till they graduate
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 07:17 PM

Send her a gift when she finishes whatever she needs to do to earn the diploma. That's perfectly appropriate, I think! If she has a party before she gets the diploma you can just let her know, "I didn't forget about you...I have something really special just waiting until you are totally done!"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Appropriate Monetary Graduation Gift [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for the appropriate monetary gift would be for my cousin's son... they live out of state so I don't see them often but we are close. Thanks -

College Graduation Gift or not [ 3 Answers ]

We received a college graduation announcement, but not an invitation to any party. Do we send a gift, or just a congratulations card?

What is an appropriate monetary gift for graduation? [ 4 Answers ]

What is an appropriate monetary gift for a neighbor's h.s. graduation? They are a nice family, and we dog sit for them and they for us, but the kids have never bothered to talk to us much, or do anything for us, even though we are quite a bit older than there parents. He is going to the local...

Appropriate college graduation monetary gift [ 3 Answers ]

What would be an appropriate monetary college graduation gift for a neighbor's daughter that I don't know well and her friend that I don't know at all. It is a combined college graduation party. :confused:

College graduation gift [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a standard $$$ amount to give your child when graduating from college?

View more questions Search