Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2maddie2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2006, 12:35 PM
    GFI Outlet Trips
    We have an exterior GFI outlet that started continually tripping and then quit altogether. We installed a new one but it also is tripping frequently. Anyone have any suggestions please.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2006, 03:59 PM
    Is this GFI the end of the circuit, or does it protect other outlets? Other outlets are being protected if a set of wires are connected to the "LOAD" terminals.

If the end of the circuit, and nothing is plugged into it, there should be no reason to trip.

Be sure the input wires are connected to LINE, black to brass, and white to silver.

It is possible the new device is also defective.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Oct 9, 2006, 07:47 PM
    You mention it is used in an exterior outlet - that GFI likely protects other exterior outlets (if present). Try using the "test" feature on your GFI to trip it off and see what other outlets are affected. Are any of the affected outlets (including the GFI) exposed to moisture? Moisture in any outlet of the protected line can cause repeated trips. Make sure all exterior outlets are protected with good quality exterior (covered) outlet plates and caulk any gaps between the coverplate and the exterior wall.
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Oct 9, 2006, 08:57 PM
    Definitely, as jgj6331 said, check for water. I had the same problem that turned out to be a cracked "in use" waterproof cover. I replaced the cover and the GFI hasen't tripped since.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Oct 10, 2006, 10:29 AM
    You have to determine if the load that is plugged in is creating ground current. Some loads produce ground current (like heat tracing or long extension cords, cords with cracks). Even some old equipment may also produce ground current. Since ground current trips GFIC's, that's were I would look first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy eats everything on trips outside [ 6 Answers ]

My 8 week old puppy eats everything of interest when she's outside on a leash. I mean everything. Leaves, grass, weeds, mulch, stones from the driveway, etc. What to do? She's in a harness and about the only way to prevent her from eating all this stuff is to hold the leash tightly so she can't put...

My Computer trips a 20 amp breaker... [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 500 watt power supply on my computer, and every time I turn it on in the room that I want to keep it in, the breaker goes. Is this normal? I plug the computer into other outlets on other breakers in other parts of my apartment with no problem, but in the 2 bedrooms that the breaker...

Breaker Trips [ 3 Answers ]

My furance Circuit breaker The main from the house input has stated to trip. It has happened twice this past weekend? Any ideas?

GFI trips when fliping switch [ 5 Answers ]

I have an outdoor fountain with a pump that is pluged into a new outlet next to the pump. I connected that outlet to an outdoor switch on the porch so I can turn the punp on and off without going to the fountain. I taped into an existing outdoor outlet on the porch and put the switch next to...

3-way bulb burns out and trips breaker? [ 2 Answers ]

Can a burnt 3-way bulb fail and trip the breaker? I was away on vacation with a timer on the light in question and when I came home the breaker that powers the circuit was dead and the 3-way bulb was burnt out. I replaced the bulb and all is fine now.

View more questions Search