Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ABBAS HARUNA Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 02:48 AM
    Buchholz relay.
    How does the single coil buchholz relay connected to the tap changer afford transformer protection.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 03:38 AM

Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

"Buchholz relay

A Buchholz relay is a safety device sensing the accumulation of gas in large oil-filled transformers, which will alarm on slow accumulation of gas or shut down the transformer if gas is produced rapidly in the transformer oil."

Relay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It appears to be a sensor used to prevent explosions. If gas accumulates, it could mix with oxygen and explode. Oil in the transformer won't explode because it's not mixed with oxygen.
    Newton1Law Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Jul 20, 2009, 07:02 AM
    A Buchholz relay may be employed as a gas accumulation relay, that is, as gas is generated in the tap changer or transformer, it is collected in the Buchholz relay. Once the amount of gas colleected reaches the trip point the Buchholz relay may send in an alarm, trip a circuit breaker to remove the tap changer and transformer out of service, etc. A second application of a Buchholz relay is as a sudden pressure relay (although there are better relays for this purpose) and senses a rapid increase of pressure due to some failure mode of the tap cahnger or transformer.

The bottom line is that a Buchholz relay or any relay, affords protection by reacting to a set of conditions selected by the user in which the relay closes or opens a contact causing some set of protection devices (circuit breaker, etc) to operate.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan relay [ 1 Answers ]

How do you wire a fan relay on an old furnace that has air conditioning

Fan relay [ 2 Answers ]

How can you unstick an air conditioner/ heating unit fan relay if it is stuck? Where is it located? I have tried turnng the thermostat and power off, but to no avail.:o

What does air relay look like [ 1 Answers ]

What does relay look like on central air unit

AC relay [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Magic Chef forced air furnace/ac (gas heat, elec ac) Model #G8A75DC42-17 and the fan stays on even after the ac turns off. I had an ac man out and they said the relay was bad but the unit is older and they could not get replacement parts for it. When I look at it, there is a little black...

View more questions Search