Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Kumar1111's Avatar
    Kumar1111 Posts: 40, Reputation: 0
    Junior Member

    Jun 5, 2009, 06:17 AM
    POST production FILM publicity expenses tax deduction
    Hi, I have a friend who is a film producer. He completed production of a film in early 2007. In 2008 he spent money in looking for a distributor. He found a distributor in 2008 and released his film in theater in 2008. So for 2008 he has income from film distribution. At the same time he spent money in 2008 in advertising/publicity/marketing of the film. My question is

    What is IRS rule for deduction of film advertising/publicity/marketing expenses?

    I would appreciate citation of any specific section or publication.

    Note: I believe it may be a normal business expenditure that can be deducted. But I may be wrong and also I am looking for specific provision.

    Note: I am aware of section 181 that talks about film production cost but what I need is about film post production cost.

    Thanks for help
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jun 6, 2009, 10:09 AM
    I cannot provide you a IRC citation, but normal expenses incurred in production and promotion of a film are fully deductible in the tax year in which they are incurred, provided you are a cash-basis tax payer.
    Kumar1111's Avatar
    Kumar1111 Posts: 40, Reputation: 0
    Junior Member

    Jun 23, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Thank you. Does that mean under accrual basis the expenses are not deductible in the same year when they are incurred even if the payment are made the next year?

    I have another question...

    The company already filed return under C corp and had huge losses in 2007.. close to about a million. They don't expect to make profit in near future. So carry forward of losses does not make sense to them. Is there any way they can elect S corp now? My friend wants to deduct this losses from his personal income for 2007 by becoming shareholder of the corporation after converting to S corp. My friend has already file return for 2007. However for 2008 both the C corp and my friend has filed for extension.

    If converting to S corp is not viable what is the alternative. Please don't suggest liquidation and adjust up to $100,000.

    Thanks a lot
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jun 23, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Chas basis means you deduct the costs the year the expenses are paid.

    Accrual basis means you deduct the costs the year the expenses are incurred.

    This is only an issue normally at the end of the year when some expenses incurred in the two months of the year are paid in the following year.

    There IS a process by which a C corporation can convert to S corporation status, but it requires submission of specific paperwork to the IRS which (I believe) must be done before the end of the corporation's tax year. I may be wrong on this, but I do not think so.

    In any event, you need to contact a local competent tax professional with experience in corporate tax returns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel expenses deduction F1 to H1B [ 4 Answers ]

I was doing my OPT during 2005, until June 30 when my F1 visa expired. The employer sponsored me and I had to go back home in July to get my H1B and returned to the US on October 1st, to start working again. Can I deduct the airfare for going back home and get my visa? Can I deduct some visa fees...

H1B visa expenses and tax deduction [ 3 Answers ]

I am staying in US for over 5 years. Hi I worked for a start up company in 2007 on H1B. I had to pay the lawyer fee for the H1B processing and the same got repeated for the University that I am working for later on during the year. I also went to India for H1B stamping. The question is:...

Relocation expenses deduction [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I moved from MA to CA for a new job in 2006. I was on H1 whole of 2006 and will be filing as a resident. My employer gave me 3000$ as relocation assistance, which is not shown on my W2. However on my salary slip it says I was given $5000 and after tax, I guess, it became $3000. Can I claim...

Moving expenses deduction [ 7 Answers ]

I have a question with respect to my tax return for 2008. Following is my situation: 1) I moved from India to USA in Jan2008 and worked full time for CompanyA 2) In Mar2008, I switched employers and worked full time for the rest of the year for CompanyB 3) My wife moved to USA to stay with me...

Regarding moving expenses deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I am filing tax returns as "Married Filing Jointly" - 1040. I got married in Feb 2007. I was working remotely from India for my client for the months of February and March 2007. And my wife came from India to US in June 2007 on H4 dependent visa. I was wondering if my trip to India...

View more questions Search