Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RARORA Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Algebra-maxima minima
    A man sells biscuits in boxes of different sizes. The biscuits are priced at Rs 2 per biscuit up to 200 biscuits. For every additional 20 biscuits in a box, the price of the whole lot goes down by 10 paise per biscuit. What should be the size of the box, that would maximize the revenue?
    kyop Posts: 48, Reputation: 11

Nov 15, 2006, 11:37 AM
    A man sells biscuits in boxes of different sizes. The biscuits are priced at Rs 2 per biscuit up to 200 biscuits. For every additional 20 biscuits in a box, the price of the whole lot goes down by 10 paise per biscuit. What should be the size of the box, that would maximize the revenue?

The price of a box of biscuits is the price times the number in the box. It's safe to assume that the linear value associated with the number times the price will not be at a maximum when we have less than 200 biscuits. So, since the price decreases $0.10 for every 20 new bisquits, we can make two different expressions:

(2 - .1x) for the price and (200 + 20x) for the number. (If you play with different values of x, you will see that this works)

So, your function is:

f(x) = (2 - .1x)(200 + 20x)

this gives:

f(x) = 400 + 20x - 2x^2

Now, the maximum value will happen at -b/(2a), so -20/2(-2) or x=5.

Plug in 5 for x and you get 400 + 20(5) - 2(5)^2 or 400 + 100 - 50 or 450.

So, the maximum revenue would be 450 and the size of the box would be 300 biscuits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Algebra [ 1 Answers ]

Can you please help me with this algebra problem: find points and slope of the following linear equation: (y+1)= -1/2(x-2) I know the slope is -1/2 Are the points (2, -1)??

Algebra! Help! [ 1 Answers ]

I need help in solving a couple of problems that I am still really stuck with even though I have tried lots of ways of solving it and don't feel that my answers are correct. Please help! I want full detail on each problem so that I can understand how to begin and complete the problems. 1. Solve...

2000 Nissan Maxima blowing smoke [ 4 Answers ]

My 2000 Maxima blows smoke when I start it up! The longer the engine runs the more smoke it will blow when restarted. For example, if I just drive around the block and back, nothing! However if I drive say 10 miles or so, it will blow at restart. This condition will completely exaust the oil...

ABS light in Nissan Maxima 92 [ 2 Answers ]

My ABS light came on and stayed on. I shut the car off and then restarted it but the light came back on and stayed on again. Any idea what the problem can be? Thanks queenyogi

View more questions Search