Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ellzeena Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Young Maple Tree with Trunk Wound
    A maple tree I had planted six years ago appears to have damage to one side of the trunk near the ground, this is not new damage; the outer layers are gone and the heartwood can be felt. I haven't noticed if the tree is forming a callous around it yet but the tree appears to have grown up about four to six inches so the wound is no longer at ground level. This is one of my favorite trees (I lost a London Plain tree two years ago because of this problem, but the wound on that tree was all around the base of the tree and I'm thinking this tree sustained its wound at the same time, possibly due to planting process). Should I do something to help protect the heartwood or should I just let the tree heal its own wound? :confused:
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 09:46 AM
    I've got a Japanese Maple that was severely scarred by a weedeater. It was almost girdled, but it came back and is doing great. You may want to get a roll of tree wrap though, just in case. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple tree - repair of hole in trunk [ 26 Answers ]

My Manitoba maple tree has a trunk about seven feet high, at which point it splits into three limbs extending upwards. At the point where it splits there is a large bowllike hole (filled with mushy rot). Can this tree be repaired by filling this cavity with something like cement or asphalt?

Oak tree hollow trunk & limb repair [ 2 Answers ]

I have several Oak trees with a hollow spot that might cause it to break and fall. These trees are in an area around my house that are key locations one being the main shade over my deck. Removal is going to be my last resort. Has anyone had success repiring a problem like this? Thanks.

Maple Tree [ 3 Answers ]

How do I go about selling a maple tree? Thanks.

Maple tree [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am removing maple tree and I want to plant Dogwood close to that area. How can I remove maple tree roots to plant Dogwood? Thank you Paul

View more questions Search