Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dom1961 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 09:13 AM
    Transmission fluid change (or not)
    I have an '09 Accord and have posted here about the oil but here's a tranny fluid question. Is it worth changing it out right now, new with only 2,000 miles on it for synthetic fluid? I do hope to keep this car a long time. Guess I have a few questions:

- Do it now or just wait till the first flush?
    - If I wait will it be O.K. to switch over then?
    - I'm concerned about warranty coverage if something goes wrong after the switch. I do not believe the dealer offers this it would be another service center (good reputation.)
    - Should I just leave well enough alone and keep the fluid flushed per their recommendations?
    - Will switching over later cause any leaking?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 09:23 AM

I'd call the dealer and ask about warranty issues.

Changing at a later time should not make any difference.

Personally, I'd base the decision on the dealer's response.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 10:26 AM

When I bought my 1993 Civic DX, in February 1993, I started using Mobil 1 in the engine and transmission right away. I did the same thing with my 2000 Ford Taurus. Both vehicles are like new. It amazes me the shear number of people who are high-tech in all other areas of their life, except lubricants. Go figure.

The cost will be minimal to start using synthetic ATF--there won't be any warranty issues, if you use a product meeting Honda's requirements for your car. You can make the switch at any time, without problems. My advice is the same as Exxon's; i.e. drive it from the showroom to the service bay and change it right away. Many of the top vehicles in the world come with synthetics as factory fill.
    Dom1961 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 04:11 AM
    O.K. thanks folks, I will check into the synthetic change. I was going to change out the oil to Mobil 1 and the Honda would not clear my ramps. Someone told me to put a couple pieces of 2x4's on the ground in front of the ramps and they might lift the front enough. I also about an '02 ford (in '02) and put Mobil 1 oil in it right away - still runs fine and my daughter drives it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to change the transmission fluid for honda civic 2001 or not [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a Honda Civic 2001 and if you search online this car has too many problems with transmission. Luckily my car is working just perfect. It has 108663 miles on it. I don't remember ever some one changed its transmission fluid. I checked it was OK and was dark brown. I asked the Honda tek...

1991 Honda Civil transmission fluid change [ 1 Answers ]

I recently got a 1991 Honda with 114,000. Transmission shifts hard. Had fluid changed at Aamco and they put in Lubegard. Can this damage transmission?

No transmission fluid [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Hyundai accent. I was changing oil and mistakenly drained tranny fluid instead. I then put about 4 1/2 quarts of oil in engine on top of what was already in thinking I drained everything. About 8 1/2 quarts were in engine! I started car and let idle with all that oil and no tranny...

Transmission Fluid [ 2 Answers ]

I own a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo. Where do you find the dipstick to check the transmission fluid and where is the opening to replace the transmission fluid? None of these are visible by looking under the hood.

Transmission fluid [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of fluid do I put in the transmission of a 94 honda civic 5 speed manual?

View more questions Search