Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XM8 Posts: 213, Reputation: 14

May 29, 2009, 09:34 AM
    Giving a speech
    (Sorry if this isn't in the appropriate section).

Hi,

I have to write and deliver a speech to about 30-40 students for a rhetorics competition in English class. Among them will be a couple of teachers and a panel of "judges. Theses judges will be made up of 1 teacher and a few students, each from the 8th grade and upwards.

Anyway, could someone tell me how to I deliver the perfect speech? I want to win the competition :)

I've already chosen a topic and it will be about "stereotypes of the English speaking world".

Any advice?

Thanks,

-Xm8
    CLuvsSoccer Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

May 29, 2009, 09:50 AM

Hey XM8!
    I've done a few speeches quite recently and I think that these tips should help you do just fine!
    ~ Be sure to know the topic frontwards and backwards. If you have no clue what you're talking about there is no way you can do well! (Personal experience!)
    ~ Dress formal for the speech if you think that it would be appropriate to do so. This will very more than likely impress the judges. Be sure your teeth are sparkly clean before you begin! It is the most embarrassing thing in the world to have a hitchhiker when giving a speech! ;-)
    ~ If you get nervous, try gently massaging the skin between your thumb and index finger, this can help calm you down and it's very discreet.
    ~ Try looking toward the back of the room at the wall just above the audience's heads. It will look like you're talking to them yet it makes you less nervous.
    ~ Don't speak from your throat, speak from your diaphragm. You know you're speaking from your diaphragm when you can feel your stomach pushing against your hand near your ribcage. (It's kind of hard to describe!)

I hope this helps with your speech! Let me know how it goes and good luck to you!

May 29, 2009, 10:30 AM

Hey Cluvssoccer, thanks for the answer.
    Those are some good tips :)

Do you think that it's wise to be funny? I'm assuming that's more appealing to the audience right?

-Xm8
    CLuvsSoccer Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

May 29, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by XM8 View Post
    Hey Cluvssoccer, thanks for the answer.
    Those are some good tips :)

Do you think that it's wise to be funny? I'm assuming that's more appealing to the audience right?

-Xm8
    You're very welcome! I think it would be wonderful for you to be funny! It would grab people's attention and make them like you. When you make people laugh, it gives you more confidence, which makes you do better in the long run!

May 29, 2009, 10:41 AM

Ok, thanks a lot :D

-Xm8

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A speech [ 8 Answers ]

I have attend a public speaking course... n my teacher ask me to talk about "what makes me a chinese"so I dun have any idea... :( n I ned tis on tis wed... plzz.. help me wit it... thankss:D

WAPO: Free speech ain't free speech [ 23 Answers ]

I was always under the impression that free speech was free speech, now we have things like "hate speech," "free speech zones," the UN's "you can't offend Islam speech," and as I gave an example of today - "politically correct speech." The Washington Post claims a distinction between Political...

What do I cover in my speech [ 1 Answers ]

HELP. Can you please give me a list of topics I need to cover when doing my engagement speech. :eek:

Speech [ 3 Answers ]

I babysit my younger cousin, he is 8 yrs old and has a bad speech problem. He has been held back in kindergarten and they have tried to hold him back again in 1 st grade but his parents did not allow it. My 5 yr old can speak 100 times better than he does. I have noticed that no body takes time to...

Speech a drag [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I need some information about Christina Aguilera. You see, i'm doing a speech about her and i would greatly appreciate it if you helped out. This is what my speech sounds like now- Good afternoon, my name is (name here). A hero is a person who is willing to help other people or helps...

View more questions Search