Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjones1941 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 07:01 PM
    Growing onions
    How do I get my onions to grow into normal onions instead of going to seed and not having the shape I see in the grocery store?

Thank you
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 25, 2009, 10:09 PM
    The vegetable available at the store has behind it years and millions of dollars of research and investments in commercial growing facilities optimized for the specific vegetable's growth. Home growing is a little more hit or miss, but good results can often be achieved by providing the best possible growing conditions and nutrients required by the plant for your location. Understanding what the vegetable needs for optimum growth is a start. See University of Georgia Cooperative Extension: Onion Production Guide or your local extension office. Not all vegetables can be grown well in all locations. Many have specific temperature, moisture, nutrient, lighting, or other needs at particular times of their growing cycle. Replicating the natural environment in areas non-native to the plant can be a challenge. Flowering and seed production tends to be lighting (photoperiod) or temperature dependent.

May 26, 2009, 04:04 AM
    I was once told that by stepping on the stock (bending it over), that the underground ball would grow and not let the upper part continue to mature. Does this sound logical?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 26, 2009, 04:26 AM

Actually jj, you are partially correct. When the onion matures above ground, you bend the top over allowing the bulbous onion underground to mature into basically what you see in the grocery store.

I used to plant extensive garden in Michigan and this is how we grew the onions so they could mature properly.

Tick

May 26, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Thank both of you for your input

Jj

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I am growing up and now I need to get out [ 2 Answers ]

So here is the deal, I have a really close friend in fact we've been so close for the past 5 years that we actually consider each other siblings. Everyone knows us as brother and sister. He is in aq gang. In fact he has been involved with the gang ever since I can remember. A few years back I...

Growing apart [ 6 Answers ]

Ok I got married really young. We got married when I was nineteen. He is the only man that I have ever been with. Over the past couple of years I have become a different person. I have started to question everything including my marriage. I love my husband but do not think that I am in love...

Growing Ivy [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are going to paint our house and one side of the house is almost completely covered in ivy and I think the only way to paint that side of the house is to very carefully take the ivy down and when they're done put it back with those ties that they sell at the nursery. It seems like...

Onions! [ 24 Answers ]

Ive just been cutting up onions to go into tonights dinner and even though I have a awfull cold the dam things still made me cry tee hee, Do onions make you cry or do you have a tried and tested method to stop this?? I spent 3 years training to be a chef and to be honest with you we tried a heck...

View more questions Search