Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abusedwife Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 03:58 PM
    Does divorce mean expilsion if I am just a perm resident and not a citizen?
    I am a UK citizen, married to an abusive American husband (which didn't start until I moved here.) My 14 yr old daughter is also a UK citizen, but, along with me, is also a legal US permanent resident. My husband is her step-father.

The house we live in here in the US was paid for by me & my family. (Which can be proven in the UK courts)

My abusive american husband is now threatening divorce. ALL of my assets are in the US.

If he is successful in divorcing me, will I be forced to leave the country & return to the UK?

We have lived here for 3 years. My daughter is a straight-A student, who hopes to go to medical school in the US. She is settled here and does not want to leave.

My husband and I were married in London, England, in Sept 2002. Permanent resident cards were formally issued 09/08.

I understand that I have to inform US Immigration of all changes of status. However, I would like to retain the home in the US, that I paid for, and not disrupt the life of my gifted child.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

May 24, 2009, 07:41 PM

You are a permanent resident. Your divorce will not affect that. Are you a conditional PR? Is your card valid for 2 years or 10 years?
    abusedwife Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 08:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DCcityboy View Post
    you are a permanent resident. your divorce will not affect that. are you a conditional PR? is your card valid for 2 years or 10 years?
    10 years... even so. I don't want to leave after 10 years, just because he is a wife-beater!

I appreciate your prompt response!

L
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 25, 2009, 02:23 PM

No, you are safe here... divorce will not jeopardize your status..
    Don't put up with the abuser... get a good family lawyer and start the divorce... good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen with Spouse US Permanent Resident [ 1 Answers ]

If a US Permanent Resident wants to travel with her husband who is a US citizen, can that happen? What visa does she need? Thanks,

Citizen married to Non-resident [ 6 Answers ]

A US Citizen recently married in Feb. 2007 to an Indian Citizen who is in process of getting green card (received in Feb. 2008) and arriving in US at that time for the first time. Since the Indian Citizen will not have their green card until Feb. 2008, they will receive their SSN at that time. ...

Divorcing before perm resident card [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is married and is waiting for her permanent resident card. If she divorces and marries someone else, does she have to start over with her process? Should she wait to get divorced until after she obtains her perm residency card? How does her divorce affect her status? Thanks so much...

View more questions Search