Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    al da plumma Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Capacitor or motor
    How do I know whether my capacitor or blower motor is at fault. My blower motor is weak and won't blow the a/c to the 2nd floor. This is a new problem for a 20 year old unit. Thanks Al
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2009, 04:40 PM

If it starts then it is most likely the motor or air filter. Capasitors going bad usually just causes the motor not to start
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2009, 08:38 PM
    The capacitor can be tested to see if its bad. Take it to a local dealer and have it tested(we test them all the time for people). If it test bad they will have one for you to buy.

May 25, 2009, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top View Post
    The capacitor can be tested to see if its bad. Take it to a local dealer and have it tested(we test them all the time for people). If it test bad they will have one for you to buy.
    Anyway I can test this myself?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 02:05 PM

Does your fan start?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 25, 2009, 02:43 PM

You need a speciall meter to test the cap. However, I Agree with Josh that cap is most likely not your problem is blower starts. Have you checked your filter? Do you have ac. If filter was neglected for a long time, your coil on top of the furnace may be plugged also. Or even the heat exchanger on the furnace may be plugged if your furnace is an 90+ eff furnace. Please let us know what you find.

May 25, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    does your fan start?
    Fan starts. Last year during the winter, it started a little slowly at first, then quickly built up speed and ran fine. I cleaned the blower and put the proper oil in the motor, and things seemed to be fixed. When I switch to a/c mode, I started developing these problems. Yes it's a +90, filter is clean, coils are hard to get to but I'll check those as well. Thanks
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 07:04 PM
    Your motor uses two different speeds when heating or cooling. A slow turning motor on startup can be a bad motor or run capacitor. If you take the capacitor to a dealer to test it and it test good you have a motor going bad. But if the capacitor test bad spend the $6.45 and give it a try.

May 25, 2009, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top View Post
    Your motor uses two different speeds when heating or cooling. A slow turning motor on startup can be a bad motor or run capacitor. If you take the capacitor to a dealer to test it and it test good you have a motor going bad. but if the capacitor test bad spend the $6.45 and give it a try.
    Thank you. I'll do just that.
    clubobg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2013, 12:28 PM
    I have a goodman air condition
    It run but not blow cold air , check the copper it feel cold
    Check voltage to blower motor it have 120 v ac but blower not run
    It's blower motor bad or start capacitor bad ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC Fan Motor, capacitor, or what? [ 9 Answers ]

I had the fan motor of my outdoor AC unit replaced about 5 years ago, it has an AO Smith mod F48K92A01 which I found online for about $65 but want to make sure it is not possibly the capacitor or something else first. I caught the unit having the fan hitting the splicer near the top, clank,...

Capacitor for toy motor [ 3 Answers ]

hey ^-^ hmm recently I've taken apart one of my old toy cars from way back when. The main reason being that I wanted to make a sort of hand crank flashlight using the motor. The motor originally took five double A batteries, so I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that it would be able to put out about...

AC motor control on PSC with run capacitor [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know what type of rheostat will slow a PSC motor with a run capacitor. It is a gear motor that final turn is 86rpm, but I don't know what the initial speed is. It is 110 volt and 2.1 amp. 60Hz When I hooked up a speed control I purchased on eBay, (and their ad stated that it would...

Motor or Capacitor? [ 2 Answers ]

How can you rule out a bad capacitor? Is the only way by ohms?

View more questions Search