Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ranyas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2009, 03:03 AM
    How long do I breast feed for?
    Hello, I have a 5 month old daughter, who is totally breast fed, and I want to know how long should a full feed be? She feeds for only about 10 - 15 minutes, then doesn't want any more. SHe then can last an hour sometimes or 2 - 3 hours sometimes without wanting another feed. Is this enough milk for her? She is growing fine and gaining weight well. It just seems like a short time to feed.
    Thank you
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 04:47 AM

Some babies will become very efficient with moving the milk and a feed may only last 10 minutes or so. Since she is gaining weight well, and all appears to be fine, she is getting what she needs.

Does she usually want another feeding within a couple of hours? If so, is this recent or her regular schedule? How is she sleeping at night?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weaning - how often should he breast feed [ 4 Answers ]

I am weaning my 6 month old to solids and he is eating really well - 3 meals a day.However he only really wants to breastfeed twice a day and fights me the rest of the time. I give him cooled boiled water too as I am worried he will get dehydrated as he didn't want to breastfeed as much. We live...

How much & how long to I feed my breastfed baby of 9 weeks [ 3 Answers ]

My baby is 9 weeks old & weighs nearly 141b.He feeds every 2,3,4 & sometimes 5 hrs.He can also feed for a bit more after an hour.I'm worried that he's gaining weight too much,as he's heavy.How long should he need maximum on each breast & how much in oz should he have.He also has formular when I'm...

9 week old breast-fed baby vomits lots after each feed. [ 2 Answers ]

My 9 week old baby vomits a lot after each feed. He is putting weight on but is small - between the 2nd and 9th centile on growth charts. He is also undistressed although is windy. I feed him and he pukes lots when he burps and hiccups. I have tried baby gaviscon and it made him worse, I keep...

New here.questions about breast pain, breast lumps [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All! My name is Christy. I am 25 years old. I had my beautiful daughter 15 months ago... that was when I first discovered something was wrong. :confused: When my daughter was 6 weeks old, I felt a lump in my right breast. I thought for sure it was a clogged milk duct. I went in for my 6...

View more questions Search