Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morland Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 11:53 PM
    MS-Excel 2007 takes too long to open a file
    I'm using XP pro and Excel-2007. Recently switched to Office 2007 (from Office 2003) and have the following problem when opening any Excel file:

When I try to open an Excel file, MS-Excel starts right away but it takes while (MUCH LONGER as compared with Excel-2003) before the file opens/gets displayed. BTW, I do not have any add-ins enabled.

Can anyone please help me solve this problem?
    morland Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 03:39 AM

Problem Solved (I think) :)

I downloaded to install SP2 for Office2007 but decided to search one last time before installing the SP2.

Luckily I came across a solution (shared below for benefit of all members) and the solution basically boiled down to deleting PERSONAL.XLS. Please see details below:

Background: The new XLSTART folder for Office 2007 is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART But, if you upgraded from a previous version, there may still be a personal macro workbook called “PERSONAL.XLS” located in the old location: C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Fix: To correct the delayed file opening problem, just delete the old PERSONAL.XLS file
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 24, 2009, 05:42 AM

My suspicion was that this had to do with not completely removing office 2003. Thanks for lettings us know of the solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

File 2007 tax deduction on 2008 tax if missed on 2007 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

How can I refile my 2007 taxes on my 2008 tax in TAXCUT? I got a new air conditioning unit and a new water heater due to a lightning strike. Can I claim the appliances as major renovations to the house or can I at least claim them as an energy efficient deduction.

Excel 2007 to have excel 2003 look? [ 6 Answers ]

Hey I have Microsoft Excel 2007, from my course at college I have been given instructions to do a task. However these instructions are for excel 2003. How do I change my excel 07 to look like excel 03 so that it is easier. I know there is a way, help greatly appreicated thanks.

Excel. Can't see the top of the file when open to move it lol [ 6 Answers ]

OK, this is a strange problem. I am not a novice.. I know Excel quite well but I have encountered this issue. So when I open this file (File A) maximized, it is fine. However, for this particular part of my job, I need 2 excel files open at the same time. So I stretch Excel out across my...

Microsoft Excel 2003 takes more mem usage [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any way to reduce excel 2003 mem usage to be reduced? One of my applications runs fine on Excel 2000 and fails in Excel 2003 with low virtual memory capacity error. Under task manager on looking into the "mem usage" for Excel 2000 its around 30MB and in Excel 2003 its DOUBLE!! Any...

View more questions Search