Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kutra Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 03:54 PM
    Using the flow diversion valve on a septic tank.
    Hi:

I need to turn the flow diversion valve on my septic tank so it uses the second drain field, but the septic tank company is charging me $200 to come and do this. I know where the valve is and I also have the rod for turning it, but I have no idea how to do it. The septic tank company said if I don't do it correctly, I could end up breaking the valve so I should call them the first time and they can show it to me.

Any suggestions? I did not find any directions on the internet.

Regards,
    K
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 19, 2009, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kutra View Post
    Hi:

I need to turn the flow diversion valve on my septic tank so it uses the second drain field, but the septic tank company is charging me $200 to come and do this. I know where the valve is and I also have the rod for turning it, but I have no idea how to do it. The septic tank company said if I don't do it correctly, I could end up breaking the valve so I should call them the first time and they can show it to me.

Any suggestions? I did not find any directions on the internet.

Regards,
    K
    Fly me up there and I'll do it for $150. Doesn't look that complicated to me.(see image) how about you? Just do it! Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 19, 2009, 05:11 PM

In my neck of the woods those things are quite rare but they only go left or right. Try right and then left, your guess will be about as good as the guy who isn't getting your $200. Those guys should fall into the tank for what they are charging. Shine a flashlight down your shaft and you may see that the indicator knob is slightly point off in one direction, you want it to go in the other direction.

May 19, 2009, 05:41 PM

Thanks speedball1 and ballengerb1. I shall try it myself and let you know.

May 19, 2009, 06:24 PM

Tell me more about your field. I have only seen one field with a diverter. Around my area space is so precious folks are hard pressed to get one adequate field in let alone two. Why do you require q second field, is the first one getting water logge or what tells you its time. Thanks,
    Bob

May 20, 2009, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Tell me more about your field. I have only seen one field witha diverter. Around my area space is so precious folks are hard pressed to get one adequate field in let alone two. Why do you require q second field, is the first one getting water logge or what tells you its time. thanks,
    Bob
    I managed to open the riser cap and turn the flow diversion valve. It was exactly like the one posted by speedball1 above (Bull Run Valve). Yippee! That's $200 saved because of you guys. :)

ballengerb1:

I moved into this house in Sep 2008 and this house's septic system has two drainfields. This is as per the seller and county records. Space isn't an issue since I have over 10,000 sq ft of back yard space.

The seller was nice enough to pump out the septic tank before she left. And she also did other repairs like replacing both the distribution boxes, etc. All records were furnished by the Septic Tank Co that did it along with the County Permits.

Now, I read that flow diversion valves need to be turned every 6 months or 1 year. Since I have no way of knowing whether the valve was turned when they pumped out the septic tank, I thought now was a good time. There's no problem with my septic system; I turned the valve just as a part of regular septic system maintenance. After this, I plan to be on a 6 month schedule.

Does this info help?

My next quest is to find out if my septic tank uses a filter or not. The Septic Guys told me to look for a 2-3ft in diameter round cover which might be flush with the ground or slightly above; but exposed. I am certain I cannot find it, but the Septic Guys will charge $200 to confirm this.

May 20, 2009, 05:23 PM

Same septic guy, same price for everything, Get anew guy. Most tanks do not have a filter and if yoy have one its on the side closest to the home where the line conncets from the house to the tank. No white cap, no white plastic filter.
    G3045 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 07:22 AM
    You should be able to change the valve position yourself. It is easy to do. The $200 charge is outrageous unless you live a long way from the plumber's or are in an area with a high cost of living. It helps to have an underground curb key, also called a meter wrench, to turn the valve. You can get one from a home center or hardware store. The bull run valve should turn quite easily. Don't force it. You may need to carefully remove dirt and vegetation debris that may have settled and covered the valve. I just bought a house that has such a valve in the yard. I'm wondering why whoever installed it must have done it backwards. The arrow on my valve points back toward the septic tank and the house.

I'm trying to figure out where the field lines run in my yard. Can they branch out into multiple lines past the valve, or will there be only two field lines, one for each side of the valve?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic Leach Bed Leaks Back into Septic Tank [ 15 Answers ]

Every time we get a heavy rain I get water coming from the leach bed back into the septic tank. Is there a check valve that can be installed to prevent this from happening or any other suggestions? I have been told that a curtain drain would help, but that is costly.

Septic Tank [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a house 2 years ago that was approximately 2 years old. It has a septic tank. Lately I've been smelling an odor in my master bathroom (stronger in the morning) and now I'm starting to smell it in my master bedroom. The master bedroom and bath are on the opposite side of the house from...

1 valve shut off hot water tank valve [ 9 Answers ]

I was just trying to get some Pro's thoughts on, why there would be a shut off valve on the hot line going out of my hot water tank, and no valve on the cold coming in? Is there a reason for this? Is it OK to add a valve on the cold,so I can isolate the tank, by shuting both valves , and would...

Gas flow from front tank into rear tank on an F150 pickup [ 2 Answers ]

Help: I have an F150 2 whl drive pickup, manual transmission. Straight 6 cylinder. The gas flows from front tank into the rear tank. Not a huge problem, but when you fill both tanks, gas starts running out of the rear tank because the front one is still trying to fill the rear one. Gas mileage...

Changed valve on Hotwater tank leads to low flow [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 40 Gallon Natural GAZ "GIANT" hot water tank. The Cold water in valve was leaking so I changed the piece. I made sure that the everything was clear and clean and that the valve was a BI-Directional flow. The tubes are PEC and I crimped the O-rings into place and they are a GO. ...

View more questions Search