Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iris0167 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 04:51 AM
    Drywall in the bathroom
    I am remodeling my bathroom and need to know if I can put regular drywall in to replace the paneling I took out. I know I can't put it around the tub, but what about the walls? If not then what can I use?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 19, 2009, 05:23 AM

When I had my bathroom remodelled, contractor used regular drywall in any area not connected with the bath and shower stall. He used waterproof drywall in the shower/bath area.

Tick
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 19, 2009, 07:29 AM

What is allowed and what should be used can be 2 different things. Plain drywall is allowed for a non-wet bathroom wall but for about $2/sheet more you can install greenboard or paperless drywall. In the shower and all wet areas they used to use greenboard but now, if you are tiling, we use cement board or Hardiebacker board with a vapor barrier.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

May 19, 2009, 09:13 PM
    Tick,

You should never use any type of wallboard around a tub and that goes double for showers.

There is NO such thing as waterproof drywall. Your contractor is a hack. About this anyway. :D He probably used mastic too. :eek:

Jaz
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

May 20, 2009, 12:42 PM

Hi I own BRD Wallsystems in Green Bay Wi. And you may use regular drywall in the bathroom green board is a waste of your money if tileing use cement board behind the tile
    Expert

May 20, 2009, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
    Tick,

You should never use any type of wallboard around a tub and that goes double for showers.

There is NO such thing as waterproof drywall. Your contractor is a hack. About this anyway. :D He probably used mastic too. :eek:

Jaz
    He is a very respected contractor retired in Cobourg Ontario. You Jerk. Maybe I didn't call it the right thing, whatever. Who the H do you think you are replying to me like that. Give me a break, I wasn't born yesterday.

Tick
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2009, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    When I had my bathroom remodelled, contractor used regular drywall in any area not connected with the bath and shower stall. He used waterproof drywall in the shower/bath area.

tick
    Hi tick

Can u find out what type of drywall used in tub and shower. Greenboard is water resistant. Don't know of any drywall that is water proof.

Thanks

Chuck
    Expert

May 20, 2009, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Hi tick

Can u find out what type of drywall used in tub and shower. greenboard is water resistant. Don't know of any drywall that is water proof.

Thanks

Chuck
    Well, then, it had to be greenboad, and water resistant. It has been there for five years now behind a tub enclosure and I guess still working. It is an old house, built in the 40s.

Tick
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2009, 03:17 PM

Thanks tick

The first areas to break down would be the first row of tile at the tub. If the caulking is maintained so water doesn't get to greenboard it will last a long time.

Chuck
    Expert

May 20, 2009, 04:59 PM

Okay, nothing is breaking down. I am up on it. I don't have tile at the tub, I have a surround in three pieces. I am fine, I am not entirely elderly yet.

Thanks creahands for your concern

Ms tickle

May 20, 2009, 07:27 PM
    RE; post #6 above.

If he used drywall, (either regular or greenboard), in a shower to tile onto, he does not deserve respect. However if maintained well and if the substrate never gets wet, it'll be OK.

Greenboard is not waterproof, or even water resistant. It is know as MR Board, the MR is for moisture resistant. That means it can be used in rooms that sometimes have high humidity. Matter of fact, although it was improperly used for many years, it was specifically outlawed for damp/wet areas as of Jan 2006. Most people that had used it, still haven't gotten the word though, some never will and don't care because it's cheap.

Tickle, thanks for calling me a jerk. I wonder why you would take offense to what I said. I didn't say anything negative about you, just the hack who did the work. I guess you don't care?

Jaz
    Expert

May 21, 2009, 03:28 AM
    RE; post #6 above.

If he used drywall, (either regular or greenboard), in a shower to tile onto, he does not deserve respect. However if maintained well and if the substrate never gets wet, it'll be ok.

Greenboard is not waterproof, or even water resistant. It is know as MR Board, the MR is for moisture resistant. That means it can be used in rooms that sometimes have high humidity. Matter of fact, although it was improperly used for many years, it was specifically outlawed for damp/wet areas as of Jan 2006. Most people that had used it, still haven't gotten the word though, some never will and don't care because it's cheap.

Tickle, thanks for calling me a jerk. I wonder why you would take offense to what I said. I didn't say anything negative about you, just the hack who did the work. I guess you don't care?

Jaz
    Where did I say I tiled on it. We have a surround in three pieces, I guess that is way he used that type of board. I really object to people not reading a whole post, or reading into it. What I really objected to was your tone implying that I could not hire someone who knew what they were doing. Why would anyone do that ? You assumed this contractor did not know what he was doing.

Don't make assumptions, it doesn't work here. Ask questions first.

ms. tickle

May 21, 2009, 07:10 AM
    Not to belabor the issue, but you are the one that said your contractor used regular drywall in the bath BUT used "waterproof drywall" in the bath/shower area.

Of course there is no such thing, although many contractors and sales people at lumber yards have referred to it as such for years. Still today, many "respected" contractors and tile setters routinely use GB around wet areas.

It wasn't until a later post that you explained you do not have tiled walls, but an acrylic 3 piece surround. Heck you could put Swiss Cheese behind that as long as no moisture can get to it. If moisture does get to the GB, it'll turn to mush and mold and you will never know.

And... I did not imply that " I (you) could not hire someone who knew what they were doing." It would not be your mistake if a contractor took shortcuts. How would you know? You're just a regular HO.

Jaz
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

May 22, 2009, 08:25 AM

I own BRD Wallsystems in Green Bay Wi green board is garbage the difference between sheet rock and green board is the green board has wax on the outside if it once you put a screw through that board you defeat the purpose of it now it gets finished with regular drywall compound which IS NOT WATER RESISTANT so all the cut edges around the tub get drywall mud and taped and then coated with regular drywall compound what makes the drywall water resistant is the primer and the good quality paint you put on don't forget to calk around the tub to seal it from water to.
    Expert

May 22, 2009, 10:04 AM
    Not to belabor the issue, but you are the one that said your contractor used regular drywall in the bath BUT used "waterproof drywall" in the bath/shower area.

Of course there is no such thing, although many contractors and sales people at lumber yards have referred to it as such for years. Still today, many "respected" contractors and tile setters routinely use GB around wet areas.

It wasn't until a later post that you explained you do not have tiled walls, but an acrylic 3 piece surround. Heck you could put Swiss Cheese behind that as long as no moisture can get to it. If moisture does get to the GB, it'll turn to mush and mold and you will never know.

And....I did not imply that " I (you) could not hire someone who knew what they were doing." It would not be your mistake if a contractor took shortcuts. How would you know? You're just a regular HO.

Jaz
    Sorry, not just a REGULAR HOME OWNER, I do a lot of the work myself, single handledly probably renovated my own house, with the help of my son. I just can't handle cutting any kind of wallboard. Too afraid of the saws.

Tick
    buzznod Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2009, 05:05 PM
    tickle you will be fine with regular drywall on the surrounding walls trust me I' ve done million dollar homes the same way I would suggest a paint with a sheen .
    Expert

May 22, 2009, 06:36 PM

Hi, buzznod, thanks for your input but the way my bathroom is done (was done 6 or so years ago) was never an issue. I have wallpaper and everything is fine.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair drywall seam around shower stall-some mold in drywall [ 3 Answers ]

Paint on drywall seam --10 in .that surromds ouside od shower stall has cracked. Pulling it off I discovered the mesh drywall tape below showed no signs of mud and was on top of dryall which now has developed a 6 in length of mold--- Painter 3-years ago did not do proper job-what to do?

Bathroom Drywall [ 1 Answers ]

I'm drywalling a basement bathroom, do I need to us green board around all my fixtures or just around the shower . And what about the ceiling as well.

Wet Drywall and Mold in Bathroom Walls [ 4 Answers ]

Renting, so we will not spend ALL our money, however we are fixing the bathroom and have started peeling the latex paint off the enamel undercoat. Moisture is a problem as there is no fan and a very small window. We have areas of two paint layers, others of drywall (some wet) and some of one paint...

New drywall meets old painted/textured drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I am finally finished with a 10 foot addition to the 2 bedrooms at the front of my home. Once the additional was final on the exterior, ie: masonry walls, roof framing, sheathing, etc. I was left with the final task of removing the original exterior mas. Wall down to the floorline. Once this was...

Drywall in bathroom? [ 2 Answers ]

I have gutted my entire bathroom. I am planning on installing regular drywall except near the tub/shower where I will use backer board. Is this OK? I thought since the walls behind the vanity and toilet will not have much if any direct contact with water it shouldn't be a problem. I am also...

View more questions Search