Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgraham05 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2006, 01:04 PM
    Could I be Pregnant?
    Okay, so here is my deal. I am 24 years old. I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and had my tubes clamped about 2 1/2 years ago. I am about 1 week late on starting and it has been on time ever since my tubal and my breasts are swollen and very painful at times and just a little bit painful at others, but this only started about a week ago. I have recently become very ill, tired to the point I have NO ENERGY at all and don't want to do anything but sleep or lay down, I am always hungry but hardly want to eat because I get nauseated (however you spell that) and have had cramps and bloating, but no period. I have also had back pains and I had this with both pregnancies too. Is there a possibility I could be pregnant even though I had my tubes clamped that long ago?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 30, 2006, 01:26 PM
    Yes, there is a chance you are pregnant. The chance is slim, but still possible. It all depends on the exact method of the tubal ligation performed.

If you had them clamped it is possible that they have opened. If you had them tied it is possible that they have come untied.

The best one to have is to have them cut, tied, and cauterized (burned).

Oct 1, 2006, 10:37 AM
    Thank you. I don't believe they did anything but the least they could because no one wanted to tie them... I was 21 and unmarried at the time and had to go through 4 doctors before one said OK, but would do the least possible (whatever that was). I have now been married for almost 2 years and me and my husband do have sex on a regular basis and do not use protection of any kind (because I thought the tubal was good enough). I took an EPT test last night and it shows up with a very very faint positive line. I don't know if I am imagining it, or if it is really there it is so faint. I know with both my kids pregnancies, in the beginning, I got a stuffy nose and couldn't get rid of it and now I have one again. All the signs are showing up that I had with the other two, but the line was so faint I don't know if it was positive or negative. Im just so confused and don't want to go to the doctor unless I get a home test that says a big positive first.
    Expert

Oct 1, 2006, 01:15 PM
    Sounds as though you are pregnant. HPTs have very few false positives and many false negatives.

If the line showed up faintly it may be because your level of hcg is still low. But I do believe you are pregnant.

Oct 2, 2006, 08:39 PM
    Okay, so I took another test and again, a very very faint positive there. And it shows after hours of sitting there. So here are all my symptoms as of now:
    LMP was 8/18/06, swollen tender breasts, bloated, fatigue, mood swings, heartburn every time I eat or drink anything (only time I've had it was during pregnancy), stuffy nose and watery eyes... and I think that is it. I had all this during my other pregnancies. Keep in mind, I am 24 and had my tubes tied in April of 2004. Or I think they were clamped. I know for a fact they were not cauterized and cut. I can't afford to go to a doctor right now and I have no insurance and that is why I am asking for advice so much! I know the best way to go would be to a doctor, but just can't right now. I need opinions!! Im worried and scared! Thanks so much J9 for always answering me!!

Oh and another thing I am experiencing are these little bumps around my nipples that look like pimples or something and if you squeeze them, they put out this white stuff like milk. THey just popped up about a week or so ago. And my face is breaking out awful too.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2006, 10:43 PM
    No opinion is going to substute for the real answer.

And J_9 has told you the truth... it is possible to get pregnant after having your tubes tied. And, again, as she said, a positive is usually a pretty good sign... though I do believe there is a time limit for reading it. Letting it sit for hours, I'm guessing, isn't reliable for anything... might be wrong there. And as she said, a negative is sometimes the absence of a positive (meaning a - is sometimes a "false" - , whereas a + is something like 90% correct... I forget the %s). A weak positive might just be low concentrations of hormones. Blood test is best. Otherwise you are going to have to wait it out.

Nothing anyone else can say. You might be, sounds more likely than not. Id act as if you were (no drinking, no smoking, healthy eating, etc) until you know one way or another. If a trip to the doc isn't going to work right now, you've got a waiting period. Period.
    Expert

Oct 3, 2006, 12:19 AM
    I don't know the time limit they all differ. But KP is right, a blood test is best. It does sound as though you are pregnant.

Oct 3, 2006, 06:37 AM
    Well, thank you all for your help. Ill just wait it out and do as KP said... act as if I was until I know for sure. When I know, ill let everyone else know!
    Thanks so much for the input.

Oct 4, 2006, 08:46 AM
    Well, I had the blood test done today and Im not pregnant, but have a hormone imbalance. But thanks to everyone on their input!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2006, 08:57 AM
    Glad the test was done. No more worrying about what could be/might be/etc.
    SHAN1974 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 06:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lgraham05
    Okay, so here is my deal. I am 24 years old. I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and had my tubes clamped about 2 1/2 years ago. I am about 1 week late on starting and it has been on time ever since my tubal and my breasts are swollen and very painful at times and just a little bit painful at others, but this only started about a week ago. I have recently become very ill, tired to the point i have NO ENERGY at all and dont want to do anything but sleep or lay down, i am always hungry but hardly want to eat because i get nauseated (however you spell that) and have had cramps and bloating, but no period. I have also had back pains and i had this with both pregnancies too. Is there a possibility I could be pregnant even though I had my tubes clamped that long ago?
    I am going through a very similar situation. I had a tubal in 99.Normal cycle till now , pregnancy symptoms and everything... took test and says negative. If you get a response or answer to this ? Please contact me with info on what they say... PLEASE

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could I be pregnant? [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible to be pregnant even with my period so irregular? My last period was January 2006, and I didn't have my period in Feb, and March, but I believe I conceived sometime in April. But I have been having all the symptoms, cramping, nausea, vomiting, my friends tell me my stomach is getting...

Can I be Pregnant? [ 9 Answers ]

I have 2 questions... I have taken a home pregnancy test and have come up negative. I am approximately 2 weeks late for my menstrual cycle. Could I be pregnant and they tests just not detecting the pregnancy hormone? Also, if I am not pregnant and I have just missed this month's period, can I still...

Pregnant? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I'm 22 and on feb 24 I had a reg period but in mar I came on early da 22 and it was barely any bleeding and it was light pink I used a panty liner the whole time now April I didn't come on until the 21st the same thing extra light and only for two days.I took 4 hpt's and all said negative do...

Could I be pregnant? [ 1 Answers ]

My period is almost a week late which is unusual for me. I am usually 29 and 32 days between cycles. My breasts are not swollen or tender but are a little sensitive after intercourse. I had an irregular period at the beginning of February. I have taken two pregnancy tests (one before missed...

View more questions Search