Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    standouglas Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Cantilever system for fluorescent lights
    Hi,

I recently rented a large industrial space with 25 ft ceilings and poor lighting. I am trying to set up some lighting to make large artworks along one wall. I thought I would hang 8 foot long fluorescent strip light fixtures along that wall. The question is how to attach them. The ceiling is concrete and way up there. I don't have a lot of money to spend to rent scaffolding, etc. I thought I would build arms to attach to the wall and extend out about 41 inches. For each fluorescent fixture there would be an arm at either end to support it. The arms would attach to the wall about 11 feet up.

The question is how do I make this structurally sound? My wall is 5/8 inch drywall with metal studs behind. I built the arms already out of clear 2/4 s. There is a 2/4, 24 inches long that is the vertical member that will attach to the wall. There is a 2/4, 41 inch long piece that is screwed into the vertical member and then extends straight out horizontally. Then there is a 2/4 piece that supports the horizontal member at a 45 degree angle down to the bottom of the vertical member, also at 45 degrees. This support piece connects with the horizontal piece about 23 inches from the wall. Then I attached four heavy duty metal L brackets to the vertical member, with the intention of using toggle bolts to attach it to the wall. The fluorescent fixture with bulbs will weigh about 15 pounds.

Is this crazy? Will this come crashing down on my head or work? Do I need to screw this into the studs or just the drywall? I read on a site about installing wall mounts for tvs that I should put a skin of plywood over my drywall, fastening it to the studs on either side of where I want to mount the arm. Should I do this? My studs are 24" apart. I want to install 5 light fixtures. Another problem is I thought I might have each arm hold the end of two lights, to save space. This will increase the load on each arm from roughly 8 pounds to 15 pounds. I don't know how much it is in reality though, since it extends 41 inches from the wall...

Thanks
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Sep 29, 2006, 08:49 PM
    Attach whatever you can to the studs. Use 3" self tapping screws made for metal studs.

What you can do is against the wall install 2- 2x4's perpendicular to the wall studs 24" apart, then mount your "arms" to those using 3" drywall screws. By mounting the 2x's against the wall gives you more flexibilty to space the " drywall screws. By mounting the 2x's against the wall gives you more flexibilty to space the " were need them along the walls.

The length of the hoizontal 2x's mounted to the studs is up to you.
    donnapsrq Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2012, 11:49 PM
    I have similar problem for lighting but need to install flood lighting in warehouse with concrete ceiling. This is lighting in art studio for workshops so need light to flood the floor area 26' x 36' from 25' . Suspending fluorescent strips the best? How to suspend from concrete for safety and security and best work light quality

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compact fluorescent lamps in ceiling fans [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible to use compact fluorescent lamps in a Continental Hunter fan (model 23843) and also two Hunter Allendale fans (model 28023)? Also would like to use them in my Hampton Bay Huntington 2 fan (3 lights)? Thank you...

Fluorescent dimmer [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard that dimmer switches should not be used with fluorescent lights (kitchen). True or not? I haven't found anything in the books that I have. Are there dimmer switches made just for fluorescents? Thanks for the help. Jersey

Replacing Aquarium Fluorescent Bulb? [ 1 Answers ]

I know that over time the power spectrum of a fluorescent light changes. You start to lose the shorter wavelengths (UV, blue) as the phosphors wear out. I also know that plants need those shorter wavelengths to be happy in an aquarium. So, my question is, how often should I replace the...

Compact Fluorescent Spring Lamps [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I've noticed that certain brands of compact fluorescent light bulbs (sometimes called "spring lamps" because of the way the bulb is shaped) will light up immediately upon flipping the switch (like a regular incandescent bulb), while others, such as GE, will have a noticeable "lag time"...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

View more questions Search