Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cam05 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2009, 12:58 PM
    05 camry a/c light blinking and stopped cooling.
    Hi, I have an 05 camry. Yesterday I notice while driving the air was not blowing cold So I checked to make sure that the a/c light was on that's when I notice that it was blinking. I tried several times to turn it off and on but still the same results. After I get home tried to see if the compressor was coming on or not. Then I found it would come on for a second an make weired sound and shut it self off. I read online that it could be anyone of the three a Serpentine Belt, Clutch Relay, Cabin Fliter.I live in Phoenix if that's help or not.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 16, 2009, 04:47 PM

Check the belt condition and tension. If that seems OK, run the engine and have someone inside the car cycle the A/C on and off while you watch carefully to see if the A/C compressor clutch is engaging and driving the compressor.
    Look at all the A/C compressor clutch for signs of weak: metal shavings or rubber dust.
    Let us know what you find.

May 16, 2009, 06:28 PM

Well I check the compressor clutch. And rubber is breaking apart from the clutch. Can the clutch be replace without replacing the compressor.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2009, 12:59 PM

If you do a search here, you'll find the same problem from someone else and how it was resolved.

May 17, 2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks for all the help. Are there any tip on replacing the clutch I should know before doing it myself.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 17, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cam05 View Post
    Thanks for all the help. Are there any tip on replacing the clutch i should know before doing it myself.
    YES!
    And... you don't need to discharge the system.
    You can actually position the compressor and access anything you need.
    You do need the tools and experience to do this type of job. Most DIYer's refer this to someone they already has the tools and who knows how to work on Yota's.

However...

Replace the clutch, pressure plate and hub bearing as a set. All should be obtainable from nearly any parts supplier.

Name:  1a.gif
Views: 1083
Size:  18.4 KB

The snap rings can be re-used, but only if they survive removal. Still, some kits provide replacements. If they do, use them. Watch the beveled edges and re-install the new keepers the same way. You may need a puller for the pressure plate to come off right. Then, you'll need some way to clean the nose of the compressor's "snout" so that the hub/pulley can slide off once the snap ring is removed. This alone can be real bugger!
    Take your time and look at the pic. Think about how the snap rings work here.

Note: The connector on the replacement clutch may be slightly different. Look for instructions with the new clutch. OK?

Let us know how this works.

May 19, 2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks a lot CaptainRich for the advice on the clutch. I called every local auto parts store in Phx. It's a dealer item only but not in stock at this time. So I backorder it and will install it when it comes in on thurday. Ill keep you posted on how it goes.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2009, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cam05 View Post
    Thanks alot CaptainRich for the advice on the clutch. I called every local auto parts store in Phx. Its a dealer item only but not in stock at this time. So i backorder it and will install it when it comes in on thurday. Ill keep you posted on how it goes.
    Go for new snap rings with it. Note the beveled edge of each snap ring. After removing the second one, be patient and gentle sliding the coil over the hub of the compressor.
    Use PB or WD if you have to. Note the shims in the clutch plate hole. They like to stay in there. I like to get a pack of those too.

Jun 7, 2009, 06:57 PM

Sorry guys I did not back to you sooner but everything went together smoothly. Thanks a lot!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refrigerator stopped cooling [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I have a Kenmore top freezer model 253.71822106. I few weeks back I noticed some condensation (and re-freezing) building up on the top shelf of my fridge. I just dealt with it, but now it has stopped cooling altogether (I'm not sure if these are related, just giving back info). The...

Oil burning furnace-reset light blinking-won't come on. Line stopped up? If so, how c [ 1 Answers ]

I have an oil-burning furnace (AirEase Advantage is the brand) It won't run. Last p.m. it would kick on & you could hear it trying to light but it never did & went back off. I would push the reset button & try again. Then it wouldn't allow me to re-set it anymore(light keeps blinking, even after...

COOLING worked and suddenly stopped [ 1 Answers ]

Air was working fine and set it to 82 leaving. Net day the system didn't work wouldn't run fan or air from the thermostat. Is a m1mb 077a unit. Found that the 3 amp fuse had blow and replaced it the fan ran fine.. placed it in air mode and it blew the fuse again. Help.

95 camry cooling fan switch(temp sensor) [ 3 Answers ]

Where is this located is it the one on the bottom of the radiator or on of the three on the waterneck coming out of the head (1 is vacuum other 2 is electric)? My car would die after a short trip and would not restart for 2 to 3 hours, I had 2 different mechanics look at it and no one noticed...

AC stopped cooling all of a sudden [ 10 Answers ]

My central air was cooling just fine all day. Around 5pm tonight the air coming out of the ducts wasn't cold any longer. I have a computer monitor the temps in the different rooms of the house and I noticed that all the rooms were cool (77-78) until around 5pm when the temps started climbing to 83...

View more questions Search