Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vi Nguyen Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

May 15, 2009, 10:49 AM
    volume of solid by rotating
    How would I find the volume enclosed by these two curves if I were to rotate it about the x-axis?

curves: y=x and y=(x^2)-4x+4

I know the curves intersect at x=1 and 4, I think that the area enclosed by the graph is 4.5 by taking the integral between the two limits, but volume when rotated about the x-axis?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Since we are rotating about the x-axis, we can use washers.

Note that

Can you integrate that?

Notice what this looks like? It is related to the area of a circle formula, .

What the two functions generate is a solid having washer-shaped cross sections. The cross sections at x has a inner radius of g(x) and the outer radius f(x).

It's area is .

Therefore, the volume is

Where f(x) and g(x) are the functions given.

Just Google it and you'll find lots about the washer and shell methods.

IN this case, the shell method is more complicated, so we won't bother with it since washers is the easier way to go.

Here is an animated graph of your region. Can you see the washers? See what it is about now a little better?

I always liked solids of revolution. It is one of the coolest and most applicable parts of calculus.

You can use it to find the volume or surface area of any odd-shaped region if you apply it correctly.

If you want to show off, you can give the Riemann sum of it:

I'm sorry, I reckon I got carried away and didn't have much to do today.
    Attached Images

Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 16, 2009, 10:37 AM

Lol galactus! What program did you use? It's the first one I've seen that projects in three dimensions!
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2009, 10:57 AM
    I used Maple 10's animation. And then, exported it to a gif and posted:)
    Uber Member

May 16, 2009, 11:00 AM

Great!! :)

May 16, 2009, 10:02 PM
    Your getting carried away is extremely welcomed!! Your graph is crazy.. lol!! But when I integrated I ended up with a -ve no so I went back and expanded g(x), I think you left out the -ve, after expanding it from scratch I got the same as you but just different sign, integrated this and got V=72pi/5. But thanks heaps for explaining and the visuals, really helped.

P.S still haven't figured out how to rate the answer, my computer or whatever won't allow me to when I click "rate this answer".

Quote Originally Posted by galactus View Post
    Since we are rotating about the x-axis, we can use washers.

Note that

Can you integrate that?.

Notice what this looks like?. It is related to the area of a circle formula, .

What the two functions generate is a solid having washer-shaped cross sections. The cross sections at x has a inner radius of g(x) and the outer radius f(x).

It's area is .

Therefore, the volume is

Where f(x) and g(x) are the functions given.

Just google it and you'll find lots about the washer and shell methods.

IN this case, the shell method is more complicated, so we won't bother with it since washers is the easier way to go.

Here is an animated graph of your region. Can you see the washers?. See what it is about now a little better?.

I always liked solids of revolution. It is one of the coolest and most applicable parts of calculus.

You can use it to find the volume or surface area of any odd-shaped region if you apply it correctly.

If you want to show off, you can give the Riemann sum of it:

I'm sorry, I reckon I got carried away and didn't have much to do today.
    Uber Member

May 16, 2009, 11:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Vi Nguyen
    P.S still haven't figured out how to rate the answer, my computer or whatever won't allow me to when I click "rate this answer".
    Have you rated one of galactus' answers lately? If so, that explains why. You are not allowed to give good reps to someone in the same topic successively. You have to spread the reputation, by giving others good ratings.

If that's not the case, then, I don't know.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2009, 04:49 AM
    What does -ve mean? You got me there. Negative volume? Yes, you have the correct solution and what I gave is correct. Nothing forgotten. I just reversed the negative sign after expanding. Technically, there should be an absolute value sign around it.

Now, try it with shells. That is tougher.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2009, 06:14 AM
    You are not allowed to give good reps to someone in the same topic successively. You have to spread the reputation, by giving others good ratings.
    That is probably the case. I have tried and got the same message. Personally, I think that should be changed because sometimes you can not give someone else a rate first.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 07:58 AM

I agree with you only if that is applied to some topics. That rule was introduced because of a small group giving each other numerous good reps even though their response was not so good.

Or allowing giving reps successively only to some privileged members.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2009, 08:01 AM

Oh, I see. Makes sense. There's always someone to abuse and ruin it for the rest of us.

May 17, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Yes, thanks, that's probably the problem, there should be a better explanation than "you must spread the reputaion".

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Have you rated one of galactus' answers lately? If so, that explains why. You are not allowed to give good reps to someone in the same topic successively. You have to spread the reputation, by giving others good ratings.

If that's not the case, then, I don't know.

May 17, 2009, 06:15 PM
    wouldn't know were to begin with shells, I thought that may be the case that you probably forgot to include the absolute symbol. But I don't know the technique you used to expand ((x-2)^2)^2 I know you must have a method of expanding without having to do it from scratch (multiply it out then calculate). I showed some of my friend your graph and everyone's fairly impressed. :)

Quote Originally Posted by galactus View Post
    What does -ve mean?. You got me there. Negative volume?. Yes, you have the correct solution and what I gave is correct. Nothing forgotten. I just reversed the negative sign after expanding. Technically, there should be an absolute value sign around it.

Now, try it with shells. That is tougher.
    Uber Member

May 18, 2009, 08:00 AM

That, I get it this way:

OOOOOOO

OOOOOOO

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rotating a video? [ 3 Answers ]

I took a video on my digital camera, of course I didn't realize I wa taking the video long wise, so when I uploaded the video, it came up sideways, is there any way that I can rotate the video?

Rotating Triangles [ 2 Answers ]

How do you rotate a triangle counter clockwise 90 degrees?

Does the earth rotating or not [ 2 Answers ]

Asalamu aleukum dear brothers? My name is sebri bekeri and I am acanadian citizen with the ethiopian back ground. Recently I went to ethiopia to visit my parants and I met with some religious scholar that I know them since my child hood.what made me surprise they come to definite conculusion that...

Exact volume of solid generated [ 6 Answers ]

\y=x{e}^x finite region R which is bounded by the curve y=xe^x the line x=1 and the line x=3 and the x axis the region R is rotated through 360 degrees (2pi) about the x axis use integration by parts to find an exact value for the volume of the solid generated i think i can do the...

Help rotating Toilet 90% [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Folks, We're remodeling our laundry room, which is a 1/2 bath (has a toilet and sink). We want to rotate out toilet 90 degrees to the right, so it is inline with the length of the room. I have the toilet off now.. And see the two brass screw studs in the ground (screwed in to pipe?)....

View more questions Search