Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Can someone give me their opinion?
    Okay, so I met this guy over Christmas and we started seeing each other. In the beginning of march we had a talk about what this was and we decided to be lovers. I kind of said one thing in particular that I regretted the same day... that I could never fall in love with him or be with him because he partied too much. His answer was that he could never be with me or fall in love with me because I'm not the sort of person who would stop him from partying too much.

The next day he told me that the reason he hadn't introduced me to his family yet was because we weren't serious and would most likely never be serious. 5 days later I'm suddenly in his moms living-room and the day after that I also met his brother. A week after meeting them I told him that I felt it was mean of him to introduce me after telling me he wasn't going to do so. It was also mean because it kind of led his mom to believe that things were more serious then they were(and still are). I said this because I felt bad about it when I met her... she told me it was nice to finally meet me and that she had been wondering who I was and so on and hoped I'd come back and visit some other time and I knew I probably wouldn't be doing that and then I felt really bad about it. Dishonest somehow...

We also made an agreement at the beginning of march that if either of us did fall in love with the other we should be honest about it. I honestly think I'm starting to fall in love with him and a part of me doesn't want to be honest about it, but I also want to be realistic cause I know this is NEVER going anywhere. 1. I believe that the things he said are true. 2. I'm a terrible commitment phobe. 3. so is he. I've also been perfectly comfortable with things the way they are... he's fun to hang out with and I don't feel tied down in anyway or pressured and I like that!

Should I tell him? Or should I just kind of pull out slowly (like get my stuff from his house and just have less and less contact?
    Triysle Posts: 245, Reputation: 84

May 13, 2009, 06:07 PM
    Tell him. Regardless of your own concerns, he deserves to know exactly how you feel and where you both stand in the relationship.

It sounds like you have tried dropping plenty of signals, but you need to come right out with it and tell him exactly what you want. If you don't know what you want... well, that's something you got to sort out on your own. And it's not fair to string him along while you figure yourself out. Same goes for him.

~ Tee
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 06:14 PM

Roxy be honest with him wouldn't you want the same?

Why are you breaking up with him. It seems like he is into you but don't know how to express it, some guys can't.

This relationship is still new so you don't have to worry about things too quick. I say continue hanging out without the labels if you want.

I know your scare of being tied down but what does it really means to be tied down? Life doesn't stop and it good to have someone around to share things with, talk to, kiss and hug, cuddle up with while watching a movie, him cooking you a meal (not a sandwich), etc.

I think you should really think about the move your going make because I don't want you to regret it Roxy heart.
    Survivor07 Posts: 380, Reputation: 143

May 13, 2009, 06:17 PM

Why would you want to end something you enjoy?

If you are on the same page, what's the problem? Why would it NEVER go anywhere?

Both of you should communicate your expectations of each other and go from there.

Nothing wrong with telling him you have feelings for him, because if you really do and they are not reciprocated by him, you know what's next... a broken heart : (

Find out what you want from each other... before you get too invested
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 06:21 PM

Tell him. If you love someone let them know before its too late. I am sure if you don't tell him and something gets in the way you might regret it for the rest of your life! Life is unpredictable, you never what could happen the next day.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 06:47 PM
    Thank you all for answering!

The thing I realized this weekend was that for now I'm happy with things the way they are... but I do want a committed relationship...

The reason it would never go anywhere; well I'm friends with his best friend and we had a talk and he said that the guy in question told him (like early in) that if I fell in love with him we'd have to end it. Of course that was over 3 months ago and he might have changed is mind.

Also, personally I dread getting close to people. I dread opening up. And I guess that's what I mean by being tied down.

Liz: your post literally made me cry (in a good way!) and you are right it is early to be worried about it, but I'm just scared. And I do think I'm going to think about it and I do think I'll end up telling him...

All of you are right, I'l probably regret it if I don't. I would want him to tell me and I guess I should just get the words out.

Survior: I know, makes no sense right: to end something you enjoy, but for the past two weeks or so I've been in total fight or flight mode... and I've seriously been considering the latter because I honestly do not want to get my heart broken... I've also considered just waiting for a few weeks and just see what happens, but I do think its time for a talk either way...

Once again, thank you for your opinions! I really appreciate it!:)
    Survivor07 Posts: 380, Reputation: 143

May 13, 2009, 07:00 PM

You can't really go on what his friend says he wants or wouldn't want. Only he can tell you that.

I understand that these feelings and emotions are scary and it feels so safe behind our walls, doesn't it? But, it can get lonely behind them, too.

Taking chances is what life is all about, otherwise, what's the point? Good luck
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 07:10 PM
    Yeah it really does feel pretty safe, and your right it can also become very very lonely!

He did tell me that himself though, but we had known each other for like 3 weeks at the time and if someone told me after knowing me for 3 weeks that they were in love with me I'd say the same thing... and I wasn't in love with him at the time... I really need people to grow on me and feel safe enough to allow myself to feel anything at all.

Yeah... I'm usually a big fan of taking chances, I usually jump with out looking but with him I kind of don't want to jump... because I'm scared of where I'll land... and he's kind of a rare find I guess, someone its not hard to be comfortable with, he is friends with my brother so I never had to have a talk about my pill addicted mom. And when she does wired things while under the infliction of pills he's understanding about it. Like when she totalluy crossed a line and called him and ranted about nothing for 20 minutes. He was abandoned by his dad as a kid, so I never had to explain how that feels either. He's smart, he's funny, he's independent and knows how to take care of himself, he's calm.

Thank you! LOL I think I need it. (the good luck that is ;) )
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 07:15 PM

Roxy in one word "relax" and enjoy getting to know each other. This is the fun part. Hehe
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 07:57 PM
    Lol yeah, I should relax... just got a little panicky once that red light switched on! And of course falling in love shouldn't be a red light at all, maybe a less danger inflicted color I guess. (I SOOO know what I'm going to spend my next therapy session on... lowering my shoulders, opening up, letting go of my fears and relaxing... )

Have to admit though that I've kind of been holding back a bit lately with him (personality wise, because some people think I'm a bit too much... I talk too fast, when I'm exited I talk too loud, I can go on and on about stuff that few people think is interesting...

And on the latter he never says anything negative, he just lets me talk and joins the conversation... and of course that has started to freak me out to because I've kind of gotten a little used to people disliking or frowning at sides of myself I like, because I like these things about myself... ;)

Okay, rant over... going to work on relaxing now! ;)
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by roxypox View Post
    lol yeah, i should relax... just got a little panicky once that red light switched on! and of course falling in love shouldn't be a red light at all, maybe a less danger inflicted color I guess. (I SOOO know what I'm gonna spend my next therapy session on... lowering my shoulders, opening up, letting go of my fears and relaxing... )

Have to admit though that I've kinda been holding back a bit lately with him (personality wise, because some people think i'm a bit too much... I talk to fast, when I'm exited i talk too loud, I can go on and on about stuff that few people think is interesting... and on the latter he never says anything he just lets me talk and joins the conversation... and of course that has started to freak me out to because I've kinda gotten a little used to people disliking or frowning at sides of myself I like because i like these things about myself.... ;)

okay, rant over... going to work on relaxing now!! ;)
    lol, love is an amazing thing. Sure don't need to panic =P it should come natural, makes you feel good inside, and have a great time during it.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 08:06 PM

None: LOl true! It is and it really should. Hehe. And I really really do like him, I've actually tried to ignore it for a few weeks, the really liking him thing. But whenever I'm going to see him I get really really happy. If we have a plan to do something on a Friday, I wake up happy on wends, thurs AND Friday feeling exceptionally happy ;)
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 08:08 PM

I think you want your cake and eat it to so to speak. I think you want to be in a relationship but if this one fails you can blame it on him being a pariter, lying about meeting his mom, etc. I get the feeling he feels the same way, in that he wants the relationship but if it fails he can blame you for holding him down.

As it stands now it's doomed to fail because there is no stability in this relationship, it's just living off the basic framework but once that goes so will the relationship.

If you are in love with the guy then tell him. He deserves that. If he says he can't handle that, then that's his problem, but you can walk away head held high that you did the right thing. You stood to your word and did right by the relationship, and more important you stood by you own integrity and honesty to yourself.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 08:20 PM
    None: LOl true! It is and it really should. hehe. and i really really do like him, i've actually tried to ignore it for a few weeks, the really liking him thing. but whenever i'm going to see him i get really really happy. If we have a plan to do something on a friday, i wake up happy on wends, thurs AND friday feeling exceptionally happy ;)
    Don't try to ignore it, embrace it lol. Its better let it be out in the open, you will feel way better and happier when you spend time with him that way.

Wish you two the best!! XD
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Chuff: I think you hit the neigl(sp?) on the head... that's how I feel... if it falls a part the way it is now; I certainly can fool myself into thinking its his fault, and I also do feel that he can blame me... I said I could never fall in love with him... I said it first. I tried to safe guard myself in such a silly silly way and of course it bit me in the arse...

And you are right (as always... ;)) I do honestly think its doomed to fail the way it is now, because it has no where to go. We laid down some laws and they are just so tight and strict that it left us with NO options if we should want any and I do feel that I want some options... so in an attempt of not ending up with a feeling of being tied down... I still ended up tied down in someway or another.

I must say, this is why I love this site, you talk to real people, with real insight and different points of view and Its more cleansing then anything. Really!

And yes, it would only be fair to him and to me to tell him... I really do think I'll regret it...

1. If I walk away with out saying it... I will never know the out come...

2. I don't give him any say in the matter it really isn't fair. If he feels the same way then that's good, if he doesn't and it all goes really badly at least he knows... because what I think I realized over the past few hours is it isn't really fair to just disappear when things are going good with no explanation; even if he doesn't like the way I feel and even if he doesn't feel the same way...

None: thank you ;)
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 08:49 PM
    Chuff: I think you hit the neigl(sp?) on the head... thats how I feel... if it falls a part the way it is now; i certainly can fool myself into thinking its his fault, and i also do feel that he can blame me... I said I could never fall in love with him... i said it first. I tried to safe guard myself in such a silly silly way and of course it bit me in the arse....
    Friends with benefits can never be safeguarded. Someone always falls for the other... or it was there the entire time and they lied to themselves about it. That being said, he might feel the same way, but not want to say it either. You are both caught in this weird circle. You set the rules where you can't care, if you do you have to say it, and you say it's over, so nobody says it. You are playing chicken with each other but destorying yourselves in the process.

and you are right (as always... ;))
    I have got to get this copyrighted.

I do honestly think its doomed to fail the way it is now, because it has no where to go. we laid down some laws and they are just so tight and strict that it left us with NO options if we should want any and I do feel that I want some options... so in an attempt of not ending up with a feeling of being tied down.... I still ended up tied down in someway or another.
    But so did he.

I must say, this is why i love this site, you talk to real people, with real insight and different points of view and Its more cleansing then anything. really!

and yes, it would only be fair to him and to me to tell him... i really do think i'll regret it...
    I'm not wanting to make you a promise, but I get the impression you won't regret it. I think he's into you, which is why he brought you to him mom and brother. I think he's afraid to break the rules you two have set up so he's playing the same game you are. This is so unhealthy, but it's not broken. It will eventually break anyway like this, so approach him and say here's the deal, I fell for you, I'm holding to our rules. I'd love to continue this exclusively but you can't I understand there will be no hard feelings. I have a feeling if you tell him just like that and not pressure him he's going to be into you and it will give him a reason to open up himself.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 11:27 PM
    Well, I don't think that I can add much to the discussion on this post - it's been really interesting reading what everyone has said and the responses from roxypox.

I would only like to say one thing, that I have found to be so true in my own life:

"It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all".

Yea, I know, it's corny - but it's really true - there is no better way to get to know yourself and another person than though a relationship.

Put away the fear and just do it - don't overthink it and enjoy.
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 03:26 AM
    Chuff: yeah you really should get that copyrighted ;)

And thank you. That was a good suggestion (as a way of saying it!) I will do that!

Gemini: your so right! It really is better to love and lose then to never love at all. ;)

Thank you all for your advice, as well as support! I'm going to tell him (and of course tell you the out come ;))

PS: after I logged of and went to bed yesterday I remembered some stuff that he said a while ago.. He has some pretty wired thoughts as to what a relationship is... and it all seems like stupid excuses, e.g. since we live in different cities, we'd have to talk on the phone or txt everyday...

And you are right about his mom and brother, chuff, it was a pretty big deal for him.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 14, 2009, 09:28 AM

Should I tell him? Or should I just kind of pull out slowly (like get my stuff from his house and just have less and less contact?
    All of the above. You knew the risk when you first got together, and defined what you were doing. (basically its friends with benefits, you say lovers, )

Even though its way to early to say what happens next, you already know how you feel about it. Once your honest with yourself, you can be honest with him.

I find it striking your enjoying yourself, but want more. But I'm thinking its way to soon to be professing love after two months, and worrying about where things are headed, instead of enjoying getting to know each other better. Its only been a couple of months.

You are a risk taker though, and I like that in you. Just be flexible when you take risks.

I think your biggest mistake though is you have locked yourself into being exclusive, and not just dated without benefits first (or long enough). Now you want to change the agreement. Don't know how that will work.

Just me, what I do is hold off on confessing, and just do my own thing, and let him tell you how he feels.

Is this the famous, to much, to fast, scenario? I don't know but any relationship has to have room to grow, or it dies.
    Stinker10 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 14, 2009, 09:33 AM

Honesty is always the best policy. Tell him where you are heading - tell him you think you are falling in love. Then the ball is in his court. He can either say he too is falling in love. Or he can say he never will, in which case I would advise you to get out before you get hurt badly. All the signs suggest that both of you are in fact falling in deep but you both seem scared to admit it - why? Relationships only become worthwhile when there is trust. It sounds very grown up to say you don't want commitment. But I reckon that's exactly what most of us want - we're just a little afraid of looking stupid if we admit it. TELL HIM!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can you read this and give me an honest opinion [ 3 Answers ]

Can u please do me a favor? Can you tell me what you think about this poem? To All You People To all you people you think I’m obsessed Im not, not for awhile now. To all you people who think I’m in love I was, but finally realized the truth. To all you people who thought I hated his...

Please all teens give opinion [ 53 Answers ]

Hi I'm 17 and I dated this guy for 2 years and now I think I'm pregnant by him. We haven't spoken in 3 months and I have a restraining order against him because he used to beat me and the last time we spoke he said if I was pregnant than he would hurt the baby and now I'm afraid to tell him and I...

Can somebody give me a honest opinion? [ 29 Answers ]

Okay, I know I myself would not enjoy reading a very voluminous post so I am going to try to make this a long story short. Okay, my boyfriend, I'm crazy about him you know? It's incredulous how I have learned to love somebody so much. And I'm not trying to sound like an attitudy teenager (lo.:P)...

Ladies give opinion on this [ 10 Answers ]

My girlfriend broke up with me in February and then I gave her some time to herself to think about things and then it happened, she told me she didn't feel the same way anymore about me and just wanted to be friends right now, but after three month of casual talking she is telling me things like...

It would be nice if All give opinion(has to do with hair) [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, :confused: I have dark blonde hair(when I pull it back the top of my head looks really dark, and down I have really dark tips)Anyways I am a natural blonde and have been seriously thinking about dyeing my hair brown with Blonder higlights.I was just going to do it brown but then I figured that...

View more questions Search