Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blessedmom Posts: 104, Reputation: 6

May 13, 2009, 07:51 AM
    Potty Training
    Hi, I have an 18 month old who is not talking yet. Have anyone potty trained their child before they started talking? I have 2 older children. My son will be 10 soon and my daughter will be 8 soon. My son talked early and so I know he was potty trained while talking. My daughter also started talking late and I know she was almost 3 when she finally got the hang of going to the restroom. I'm 4 weeks pregnant and I would love for my 18 month old to be potty trained before I have my baby. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 09:50 PM

I know you would like little one to be potty trained before the new baby comes. Its very hard to have 2 daiperd children. Not to mention expensive!

But you really can't rush them. There isn't anything that can MAKE them ready for the potty. You have to take baby steps with them.

I would say get a child sized potty, and introduce them to the potty, and see how they react, but don't pressure them or try to force it on them that will make it 10 times harder and will NOT get them potty trained.

And talking doesn't really have much to do with it. Other than the ability to say when they need to go. But you can use the potty as a good way to teach new words.

Good luck hon!
    blessedmom Posts: 104, Reputation: 6

May 16, 2009, 06:09 AM

Thank you I will buy a potty chair and have her sit on it every time I go or when my daughter go.
    TSS22 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 12:54 PM

My son is 2 and I was reading a supernanny book the other day about potty training. It says there is no way you should ever try to potty train them until they are at least 2-2.5 years of age. It said they can't even control it until then, so they are incapable of potty training at that age. Plus you never want to train them unless they are ready (this is different for every kid) otherwise they will only go backwards on the road toward potty training. What ever you decide to do good luck!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2009, 06:14 PM

You can potty train your daughter now and she doesn't have to be talking for you to train her.

Is your daughter wearing diapers or pull ups?

Take her to the bathroom with you when you go. They have a lot of good training potties out there. Maybe you should take her to the store with you to pick out one that she likes.

Just whatever you do don't push her too much. Let her get used to the potty by sitting her on it here and then throughout the day. Every child learns at their own pace.

Also, is your daughter saying any phrases at all?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2009, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TSS22 View Post
    My son is 2 and I was reading a supernanny book the other day about potty training. It says there is no way you should ever try to potty train them until they are at least 2-2.5 years of age. It said they can't even control it until then, so they are incapable of potty training at that age. Plus you never want to train them unless they are ready (this is different for every kid) otherwise they will only go backwards on the road toward potty training. What ever you decide to do good luck!
    Please state the name of this book. My daughter was potty trained believe it or not at 13 months and she is 8 years old and never went backwards. Kids are capable of learning more than you think.

Also, I don't read too much these parenting guide out there because most of the authors of these books doesn't even have kids.:-O Don't get me wrong some of them offer some good tips but I don't use it as a manual.

You can even ask your child's doctor about what you read and get their take on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What about potty training? [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:

Potty Training [ 4 Answers ]

I have been having a hard time getting my 3 1/2 year old son potty trained. He will go pee in the toilet, but he will not poop. He will go peep in the toilet then go and poop in his pants. I have tried everything! Anyone please help. I don't want him starting pre-school still potting in his...

Potty training [ 6 Answers ]

My son is going to be 3 in November and I'm spending too much money on diapers and want to get him potty trained. What is the easy way to do it? Any tips?

Potty training my son [ 15 Answers ]

HELP! I have a son who will be three years old in 3 months. He has expressed zero interest in potty training. I have tried everything I can think of. I have tried putting him in underwear all day so he can feel the wetness, tried the little potty, the big potty, tried putting cereal in the...

View more questions Search