Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emailmc Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 04:34 PM
    Old Wallpaper Removal
    Is it best to have a professional to remove old wallpaper? After it is removal, must walls need to be textured?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 04:54 PM

Is this paper over plaster or drywall. Makes a bigg diff here.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2009, 05:47 PM

Yep, we could use a few ore details like was the wall sized before papering and what type of paper was used. Most folks can do this job with wall paper stripper or a steamer. The walls should be nearly perfect if they were sized, a few small patches maybe with drywall compound or spackle.
    emailmc Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 09:24 PM

Sorry I don't know anything about construction. Can you tell me how is the big difference whether the paper is on drywall or plaster? Thank you
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 10:26 PM

Take a thumb tack with a long spike on it and see if you can tap it in the wall. Plaster will pretty much bend it
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 13, 2009, 09:37 AM

I like that thumb tack trick, keeper. Drywalll has a paper surface that can peel when you remove wall paper. Plaster is quite a bit harder surface and should be very, very smooth compared to drywall.
    bnikhazy Posts: 6, Reputation: -1

May 13, 2009, 01:10 PM

Ballenger is spot on... Try to find out how many different layers of wallpaper are on the wall. You would be surprised how many people find additional layers. If you only have one layer, find a product called "DIF", obtain some sponges, a couple five gallon buckets ( one for solution and one for clean water), and a broad knife ( the wider the better ) and drop cloths to protect the floor. You will need a wallpaper scorer called a tiger paw if you have multiple layers. If you have one layer ( paper, not vinyl, you should be good with out the tiger paw). If the wall was not sized before hanging, you will need the tiger paw. Either way, it's best to have a partner to help you strip wallpaper. One to soak and one to scrape.

1. Soak an area of the wallpaper generously. Start with an area ( ceiling to floor ) about four to five feet wide. You will likely have to soak this area 2 or 3 times to get it good and wet without making a mess on the floor.
    2. Test the area by using the broad knife to see if you can get under the paper AND the sticky glue. If after 3 to 4 soaks... and you still can' reactivate the glue... You may need to score the paper with the tiger paw and consider hiring someone if you don't feel like tackling it..
    3. If the above works, continue to scrape the paper and glue without digging into the drywall too bad.. As ballenger said, drywall mud or spackle after a successful removal is going to be needed to some point. You want to remove as much of the glue on the first time. Once you begin scraping, your partner should be soaking another section ahead of you.
    4. Once you have scraped a section, have your partner go back and soak the section again to reactivate the remaining glue and scrape again. You do not want ANY glue on the wall after you are done! Not going back for the remainder of the glue is a common problem that makes or breaks your success. Some try and sand the remainder of glue off---Big mistake.

When you are done - the wall should be smooth - free of glue - with minor ( sometimes larger divots ) in the drywall from scraping - No worries, just get some joint compound and fill them in with your broad knife.

Hope this helps..
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 02:01 PM

I would like to point out if there are layers of paper the use a "paper tiger" on the paper first. Its has little wheels that put pin pricks through the layers of paper so when you steam it or we use vinegar on plaster walls and use a pump sprayer to apply. Of course protect floor. ( I get hungry for a salad when we do this on the re haps)

ZINSSER 02966 SINGLE HEAD PAPER TIGER | Latin Compras Corporation

Also the old glue can hurt the results here. Found out back in the 80s on that one. If the glue isn't off 100% then it WILL BLEED into the paint and paint primers. I kills or binz the wall and tint my primer to finish wall color. That should also be used if drywall compound is used to evenly seal up the patches so finish coat sucks in evenly and doesn't shadow the finish
    mrw718 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emailmc View Post
    Is it best to have a professional to remove old wallpaper? After it is removal, must walls need to be textured?
    Try hot water and fabric softener in a spray bottle. Sray on the paper and it should come right off. Doesn't matter if it is plaster or drywall this works!
    ncpeyer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 08:01 PM
    Looking for the best way to remove wallpaper that is sticking to the paint.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wallpaper removal [ 1 Answers ]

I am a contractor and am bidding on a 19 story interior condo which I will be painting all interior hallways first having to remove about 48,000 sq.ft of stipable wallpaper.My question is a square footage price for the removal?

Wallpaper removal [ 2 Answers ]

We are having trouble removing one layer of wallpaper from our bathroom. We bought a steamer, but even that won't budge the glue off the dry wall. Any secrets

Wallpaper removal [ 2 Answers ]

I have a system for removing wallpaper and enjoy doing it but for my next project it is one layer of wallpaper on top of clean plaster. I have started but found that my regular system doesn't work, whereby wetting the old paper down and scraping off is damaging the wet plaster underneath. I...

What is a reasonable price to charge for wallpaper removal in a kitchen? The wallpaper is on the ceiling also. Location is in Queens, new York

I am removing old wallpaper in my kitchen. I have peeled a layer of wallpaper off & it came of easily, but I can see a faint floral pattern & am thinking this is another layer of wallpaper. When I try to remove this, I am seeing a green wall, but some of the sheet rock is peeling off too. How do I...

View more questions Search