Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2009, 10:25 AM

Lol I know times a wastin' thanks for the recipe :D wooot... ruhbarb loaf is awesome.. its not got a strong flavor but its got almost the same texture as bananna bread almost... and looks a lot like it cept its not bananna's lol.

Wow I don't know f but I have a feeling that's quite warm for you guys.. we have not has enough sun to burn anything and the rain and humidity are bringing out the slugs. :O poor poor strawberry plants we have.. the slugs are eating them to death... even slugbait isn't working (says it will kill'm awwww bummer) tried to count the slugs on the walk up our lane.. lost track at 400 of the small things.. slugs and snails... my backyard is overwelmed with them.. and they have never been that bad before
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jun 29, 2009, 10:48 AM

If you have access to a fermented hops product, I think its called beer :rolleyes:

Put it in shallow bowls around the strawberry plants... the slugs go to it and drink until they drown.

What a way to go!

Sand is also a deterrent, pour a short mound, and wider than they are long, around the perimeter of your garden.

They don't like the way it feels, it actually cuts them.

K
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KUXJ View Post
    If you have access to a fermented hops product, I think its called beer :rolleyes:

Put it in shallow bowls around the strawberry plants.....the slugs go to it and drink until they drown.

What a way to go!

Sand is also a deterrent, pour a short mound, and wider than they are long, around the perimeter of your garden.

they don't like the way it feels, it actually cuts them.

k
    :eek:BEER?? Ewwwww.. but the hubby does drink it once in a while so there's always a 12 pack floating around I'm sure he won't miss some of it lol.. well I guess if you like beer it's a good way to go. Too bad rum didn't work LMAO I've got tons of that :D
    Does it matter what kind of sand you use? Wouldn't ants be attracted to the sand on the ground? Wider then they are long. Now does that count for when they are streached out or just regularly... they are small snails and slugs (more slugs then snails though) and none of them are bigger then your thumb nail.

Jun 29, 2009, 12:50 PM
    If you see "the man sadly nod and go off to do his own thing" :(, when you take his beer, try the rum.

Type... If you can get the kind they make glass out of, that's perfect. White then yellow.

Ants... Maybe when it rains. Sand won't stay formed enough dry, for them to make farms.

Length... regular, they won't be in it long enough to stretch. :eek: a few might be persistent

Type, again... don't matter

Thumbnail... length or width?

K
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 07:24 PM
    Reporting strange happenings with some of my tomatoes...

Since I trimmed icky (maybe virus) leaves on 6/23, none have come back or formed weirdly.

However I just noticed 1 tom on Mama mia looking like it has blossom end rot on it's side, and one early girl looks like it's starting to shrivel and turn whitish on the top of tomato.

I searched through our entire thread and found nothing that looked similar, but I might have missed something.

All of my plants are look good except for one and it's only problem is that it looks sparse.

UDT looks the same, only one tom and hasn't grown. Lots of flowers. No virus present. It reached the ground and I had to hang it up with some string.

My new Hybrid looks good, but it's just been a couple days.

Our temps have lowered to 100 F (38 C) from 108 F (42 C). I'm not sure if the toms got sun scorched or there is another problem. I'm thinking sun, because it hasn't hit all of them.

That's all I've got for now! I hear no planes above ::looks around:: and see nothing, so I'm assuming no one has any ripe toms yet. Tomorrow is July 1st.

God Bless

Jun 30, 2009, 08:26 PM
    Hi! Just Dahlia :)

Not sure what zone your in:
    USNA - USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map: South-West US

Got to thinking 'bout what you said 'bout Sun Scorch, I was able to dig up this 'mark,
    My DW says "I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached to my shoulders" :D:
    Is it possible for tomatoes to get TOO much sun? - Growing Tomatoes Forum - GardenWeb

Which led me to here:
    Bracing Up: Hardening Off Transplants | Tips & Techniques

This might go back to Hardening off.
    The zone thing puts you in 11? 10b?
    If your winter temps hit the mid 30's... as the twig is bent, so grows the tree...

Actual quote:
    'Tis education forms the common mind,
    Just as the twig is bent, the tree's inclined.
    Alexander Pope, 1734, Epistle to Cobham, 149-50

K

Jun 30, 2009, 09:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    That's all I've got for now! I hear no planes above ::looks around:: and see nothing, so I'm assuming no one has any ripe toms yet. Tomorrow is July 1st.

God Bless
    Geez... I almost forgot. :rolleyes: (maybe the DW's right!)

I know what you mean. BB's 1st born isn't as green, and shows no sign of "blush" yet. :(
    Don't worry 'bout Eddie He's been grounded 'til after the 4th... Nothin' serious,
    Something 'bout a "Blue Angels" performance.

From the "this'll get your blood flowing" department,
    I'll have to warm up the tivo.
    Just found out "Yankee Doodle Dandy" with James Cagney going to be on TCM, Sat. the 4th at 5:45pm, don't know your showing if interested, (I'm on Satellite, West vs East Coast Thing.)

I'm a sucker for those oldies, "Stars and Stripes Forever" is another goody. It's the music mostly.

Be'zeh ha'makom te'hee bracha
    v'shalom

K
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 09:07 AM

The oldies of anything are the classics.. I prefer the old horror movies, and good ole oldies music. Well oldies to me may not be oldies to you :D I like pink floyd. Meatloaf, zz top, twisted sister, kiss, stuff like that... And well I'm a huge movie buff so old movies like Rocky Horror Picture show.. (gotta love it its controversial) and the original dracula stuff like that I've got it all lol.

And about the toms... maybe the could be getting too much sun or anything I just hope if its something bacterial, viral or airborne that its not what they've got... it'd be horrible if your other toms get it too... I'm knocking on wood and crossing my fingers for you...

About the Slugs... Got the sand, white to be exact and so far it seems to be working :D I also got two hole cans of beer from him LOL and put it in shallow bowls around the perimiter hehe :D just to be sure
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 09:32 AM

Be'zeh ha'makom te'hee bracha
    v'shalom

k
    If that was for me, Thanks! :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2009, 09:39 AM

ruhbarb loaf is awesome.. its not got a strong flavor but its got almost the same texture as bananna bread almost... and looks a lot like it cept its not bananna's lol.
    That made me snort my drink :D

Jul 1, 2009, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    If that was for me, Thanks! :)
    Yes it was... k

Jul 1, 2009, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    i like pink floyd. meatloaf, zz top, twisted sister, kiss, stuff like that...
    !! What!! You never heard of Grand Funk Railroad?
    Grand Funk Railroad - Google Search
    Try any of the youtubes, it's all Good!

Well.....You see curlyben....That's the name of the railroad that hauls our toms to Eddie for delivery, an the youtubes show how the
    r.r. gets 'r' done.

And well i'm a huge movie buff so old movies like Rocky Horror Picture show.. (gotta love it its controversial) and the origional dracula stuff like that i've got it all lol.
    The other night I was watchin' Greta Garbo and Melvyn Douglas in "Ninotchka" pronounced noch-ka, a 1939 comedy, It also had Felix Bressant who usually played a professor in the "Three Stooges" shorts... And Bela Lugosi who played a Russian Party Leader... I recommend it! ;)

About the Slugs... :D i also got two hole cans of beer from him LOL and put it in shallow bowls around the perimiter hehe :D just to be sure
    If hubby ever asks where you came up with THAT idea, I'm going to pull a Sgt. Schultz on you. (Col. Hogan, I know nothing!).

K
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 03:26 AM
    !!! What !!!! you never heard of Grand Funk Railroad?
    Try any of the youtubes, it's all Good!

Well.....You see curlyben....That's the name of the railroad that hauls our toms to Eddie for delivery, an the youtubes show how the
    r.r. gets 'r' done.

The other nite I was watchin' Greta Garbo and Melvyn Douglas in "Ninotchka" pronounced noch-ka, a 1939 comedy, It also had Felix Bressant who usually played a professor in the "Three Stooges" shorts.....And Bela Lugosi who played a Russian Party Leader....I recommend it! ;)

If hubby ever asks where you came up with THAT idea, I'm gonna pull a Sgt. Schultz on ya. (Col. Hogan, I know nothing!).

k
    K yes I've heard of Grand Funk Railroad and they rock :D didn't know they had anything on YouTube though I'll go take a look. Ninotchka.. hmm I'm totally going to see if I can find it at my video store I go to.. :D they carry all the oldies :D... HEHE I doubt he minds as long as I stop complaining about my strawberry plants

Jul 2, 2009, 05:34 AM
    :) Greetings fellow Botanists :)

As an ongoing service to the readers of the Upsidedown Tomatoes Thread. I offer this Bibliography of 'Marks to facilitate in your search for answers on Tomatoes.

as Mulder would say; “the truth is out there Scully”.

There is one “special entry” found on pg. 9, by jmjoseph for his recipe for “Fried green tomatoes”.
    Kudos to jmjoseph....Even though it was zucchini, they were delicious!
    Pix on pg 14

who would have ever thought this thread would grow to such size? :eek:

~ Lets Begin ~

Found on page Two ~ 2:

GRIN Accessions for Taxon Images of Solanum lycopersicum L.

How to identify tomatoes - Google Search How to identify tomatoes

File:Tomatotree.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia World's largest tomato plant/tree

Key for Identifying Vegetable Diseases

Three ~ 3:

Plant Physiology Online: Symptoms of Deficiency In Essential Minerals

Five ~ 5:

The dwarf curly leaf tomato mutant -- Journal of Heredity
    Notes: Additional studies with tomato mutant, curl -- Journal of Heredity

Summer solstice.

Dates/Times to 2050 can be found here:
    NWS Indianapolis, IN

A discussion on why this happens, here:
    Earth's Seasons

Which can be found here:
    Naval Oceanography Portal

Grammar Girl :: Effect Versus Affect

Six ~ 6:

Saving Tomato Seeds - Seed Saving for Next Year's Tomato Crop

Seven ~ 7:

(Sciurus carolinensis) Eastern Gray Squirrel - Wikipedia

A World Record! for “Tomato Tree”

Eight ~ 8:

Supreme Court decision:
    Nix v. Hedden - Wikipedia
    Reaganomics:
    Ketchup as a vegetable - Wikipedia

Agricultural Building and Equipment Plan List

The American Hosta Society
    Hosta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    HOSTA LIBRARY

Saving Tomato Seeds - Seed Saving for Next Year's Tomato Crop

Tomato Mosaic Virus

APSnet Education Center - Plant Disease Lessons - Tobacco mosaic virus

Nine ~ 9:

Fried green tomatoes

3/4 cup cooking oil 1 cup milk
    3 to 4 med. Sized green, firm tomatoes 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    2 eggs salt,pepper, and garlic powder
    To taste.

Place cooking oil in a 10 " skillet. Mix eggs with milk and blend well. Slice tomatoes in 1/4" slices. Dip each slice in the milk and egg mixture and then dip them in the flour and place slices in the skillet over very low heat. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to each tomato slice. Brown each side slightly to a golden brown. The tomatoes will be soft, and should be served hot.

These are just as good, and sometimes more popular, if you use self rising cornmeal.

Ten ~ 10:

Mosaic virus, pictures of the yellow leaves on tomato plants

pictures of tomato mosaic virus - Google Image Search

Eleven ~ 11:

Let's Call the Whole Thing Off - Wikipedia

YouTube - Steve Miller Band - The Joker

Louis Armstrong - Let's Call The Whole Thing Off Lyrics

Christopher Walken's Monologue

Twelve ~ 12:

Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica – Wikipedia

Do Plants Sleep? - Google Search

pruning tomatoes - Google Search

Thirteen ~ 13:

Seeds of Diversity - Canadian Tomato Cultivars

If you get a chance call or visit this fellow; novanewsnow.com > The Vine/Carla Allen > Growing Cape Island style

Fourteen ~ 14:

rhubarb loaf - Google Search

FEMA: Having A Heat Wave: Summer Is Here... Are You Prepared For Heat Emergencies?

Fifteen ~ 15:

USNA - USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map: South-West US

Is it possible for tomatoes to get TOO much sun? - Growing Tomatoes Forum - GardenWeb

Bracing Up: Hardening Off Transplants | Tips & Techniques

Sixteen ~ 16:

~ :

See Ya 'round the compost pile!

K
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 07:33 AM

K.. You rock lol thanks for the biblio :D it helps instead of searching back through the thread for the links :D
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 07:30 PM

I had to spread the rep KUXJ but you should talk to CurlyBen about putting your info and all those link in a Sticky thread.
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2009, 03:46 AM

I agree shaz I think it would make a good sticky too :D.. Couldn't give you rep it still wouldn't let me LOL I think that the forum thinks I give you too much as is LMAO :D

Jul 3, 2009, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I had to spread the rep KUXJ but you should talk to CurlyBen about putting your info and all those link in a Sticky thread.
    I forgot my manners... :(

Welcome to UDT :), and Thank You shazamataz for the idea.

I was thinking, "how do I keep this Updated without consuming Bandwidth".

A PM is in the works.

K

Jul 3, 2009, 12:25 PM
    Hi! Everyone :)
    News from the Bucket, July 3rd, 2009 ~ Vol. I ~ Edition X:

Its been 67 days since I gave BB his new home, (maturity 70-75 days) and even though I said earlier that his 1st born didn't show any signs of “blush”, I have to make a retraction.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, I think I am seeing a “hint mind you”, a hint of “pink”.
    My Dad, “Bless his Soul” would have been proud. He still would have given advice on why they weren't ready, but still proud.

He grew up on a farm outside of Elysburg, Pa. His family raised 25 acres of toms back in 1930, and Grandpa insisted they be ready for market the week of July 4th.
    So you know what that means... He started seeds late March, early April. It was rare anyone in the valley bested Grandpa.

Here's to you Grandpa and Pop! ;) …... darn, I'm starting to get misty...

There is one other attraction near Elysburg, Knoebels Amusement Resort one of the nicest amusement/camping parks you'll ever visit... free admission too!

JD reported toms would be two weeks late, and I believe her.

If you need a time duration calculator, look around there's more there: Date Duration Calculator: Days between two dates

For the past week. Weather around here has been slightly below normal, main reason is that cut-off Low that's been hanging around the Great Lakes. It's scheduled to start movin' out today. We've had spotty showers all week a few T-storms, with 50% chance today, highs, low to mid 70's.
    Rainfall for the week at BBX 1.07” ~ KCXY 1.23”

BB's going to need a new bucket if this keeps up! He measured out to 57” vertical, 39” horizontal, and has 18 total toms. Must be that pruning I did, that extra energy has got to go somewhere.

b44 will be glad to hear the additional support for the bucket has stopped the deformation of BB's home. He still doesn't look like the ones you see in the TV ads. “They” must have someone sitting in a chair waiting on them “Hand and Foot”.
    Still, I'm happy that I'm finally seeing production. :)

JD be sure to see pix, I have one that looks like you were describing on pg. 15, the blossom end is forming on its side.

'Bout Blossom End Rot:
    This is just me, but I try and knock off the dried blossom end as soon after I see the tom developing. I don't force it... Like when your pickin' 'Lopes “the stem will just kinda' pop off” when its ready. Nothing scientific 'bout it (least I haven't found anything yet) and no I don't equate it with a newborn baby's bellybutton healin' up.
    Doesn't seem to hurt or help. Is it that, the Calcium or both? Hmmmm...

Well... I guess y'all know what tomorrow is...

I didn't want to clutter up the thread with pixs of fireworks so here's a link, there's one there that looks like Just Dahlia's avatar.
    I can start a contest to see who picks the right one?:
    fireworks - Google Image Search

For those of you that like action:
    Interactive Fireworks games at Phantom Fireworks

My apologies to binx44 (Canada's Dominion Day was July 1st), and any others I may have missed. I put this 'mark in my treasure chest for future reference:
    July Holidays - Holidays Around The World

Have a happy and safe Fourth of July........Govern, yourself.......Accordingly!

“We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,[1] promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

Preamble to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia

I am proud of my country, but I would also like to see a preamble “of the United States”, and “the United States of America.” to
    “of all Countries” and “the United Countries of the World.”

As Red Greene would say......Remember, I'm pullin' for ya! We're all in this together!

Living in The Land Of The Free - because of The Brave!

See Ya 'round the compost pile!

k
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2009, 05:26 PM

K the plant is coming along nicely and YES I am SO GLAD that the extra support stopped the deformation of BB's home. I`m sure he will be pretty on his own *hmmm is there a male and female tomato plant or are they asexual* right and I bet the ones on TV did have someone waiting on them hand and foot, I accept your apology though you didn't have to apologise... Well I`m sorry but my fingers are tired of typing and the original Star Wars movies are on TV so I`m going to watch them while the DH is off playing poker...

Merry meet, Merry part and merry meet again my friends

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Growing Tomatoes [ 11 Answers ]

Last summer, my fiancé and I tried to grow some tomatoes and peppers. We were not very successful. Our tomatoes were so tiny. And hardly any peppers bloomed. Are we watering too much? Could it be the type of soil. Last year we had them in containers, this year we are hoping to grow them in...

Tomatoes are dying [ 6 Answers ]

My tomatoes plants are turning yellow starting from the ground and moving up. The leaves are yellow and curling. What is causing this and can they be saved. I water then at all different times but never after 6 p.m. I usually shower the entire plant. Also, one plant out of six is really bad...

Something eating my tomatoes [ 1 Answers ]

Something just started eating our tomatoes. We had several about to ripen, went out to pick today and most of them had been bitten into. I looked around and something had taken a bite out of half my maters.(Grrrrrrrrrr) Its not insects. There are areas where you can see teeth marks. I'm thinking,...

Cheap Tomatoes? What does this mean to you! [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure what my position is on this yet. But, I thought I would post it to spark a discussion and maybe help me formulate my opinion >From a California school teacher - - - "As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you...

View more questions Search