Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tractorman54 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 12:00 AM
    22 HP Kohler Engine Fails to Start
    I've replaced the plugs, fuel/air filters and verified the fuel pump worked. Used starter fluid, and engine started but did not continue to run. Suggestions?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 04:08 AM

I din't see fuel filter here. How fresh is the gas?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2009, 07:42 AM

I see you did replace the fuel filter but you have a situation where the fuel is too lean or not even present. Drop the bowl and tell us if you have a good flow of fuel and does it shut off 100% when you raise the float. Bet your needle valve is clogged.
    tractorman54 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 09:21 AM
    You were right... didn't see message before I broke down the carb with the assist of a neighbor. Found water build-up in the carb. After reassemble, the engine started with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I see you did replace the fuel filter but you have a situation where the fuel is too lean or not even present. Drop the bowl and tell us if you have a good flow of fuel and does it shut off 100% when you raise the float. Bet your needle valve is clogged.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 13, 2009, 09:55 AM

Glad it worked for you. In your climate you probably face more condensation that may others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kohler engine stalling [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Sears lawn tractor with a 17 hp Kohler engine. It starts fine and runs fine for a while. The clear fuel filter is about 3/4 full and gas iss flowing fine. Then after awhile the engine starts to putter, and the fuel filter is almost dry. Then it stalls, and the fuel filter barely has...

Kohler engine [ 1 Answers ]

Its not getting fuel to fuel filter

Slimplicty with Kohler engine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a Simplicity Lawnmower with a Kohler 14 hp mod # CV145. It seems to run fine for about 10-15 minutes. Then cuts out. It will not start again until it cools down. I do regular tune up work on it. I have checked all the wiring and connections and have found nothing out of the...

Scotts (John Deere) with Kohler engine won't start! [ 1 Answers ]

Scotts (John Deere) riding mower with Kohler engine won't start!! Jump starting = no help. Made sure seat safety switch clean and ignition fuse OK. Brake on. Parking brake on/off. Disengaged and re-engaged tranny. Made sure blade handle full up and a little more and a little less just in case...

Condenser fan fails to start intermittently [ 1 Answers ]

Condenser fan sometimes fails to start (notably after its been running for some time). After I de-energize the unit for ~ 1/2 hr, it it then starts up. 1. Do I need to replace fan and capacitor? 2. The installed capacitor has 3 leads with a resistor across 2 terminals. Do I find a like...

View more questions Search