Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bubbandmargie Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 06:45 PM
    12.5 Briggs won't run
    I posted a question earlier about a Murray mower wiring problem. Thanks for the info. I found the coil was dead and traced all the wiring. Now I am getting fire and gas, but it will not run - or even sputter. The key isn't sheared, and as far as I can tell the bottom end hasn't been opened, but it acts like the timing is off. If I spray starter fluid in the head, it spits back through the intake. I have taken of the head and checked it. Has 100 lb. compression. I've run out of ideas. Do you have any?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2006, 07:30 PM
    Oem or aftermarket coil? Course its getting spark now?

"as far as I can tell it hasn't been opened"... meaning you got this used? 100lb. Comp sounds really good.. but I'd take the head off and make sure (turn the engine through all the cycles) that the valves are operating freely basically and not sticking.

Sep 27, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Yes I did get it used. The main pully had supposedly broken and was missing, but according to the previous owner was running at that time. I've already pulled the head and checked - even pulled the intake valve to further check. Everything is going completely up and down, opening and closing on time. I had put a coil from an '82 model 11hp Briggs to check it with.
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2006, 02:10 PM
    Coil off a 82 briggs... was it a magnetron coil? Briggs did switch them all to magentron igntions after 83.

Sep 27, 2006, 07:49 PM
    I'm not familiar with the difference. The 84' coil had a pin in the bottom of the coil for the kill-switch wire. The '82 originally had points, but I had modified it years ago with a chip that fit between the coil and the plates. On the '82 mower the black wire on it was run to a post on the throttle linkage with a yellow wire from there to the switch. It seemed to be firing well on the 12.5 and looked the same. Are they functionally different?
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2006, 04:11 AM
    You know I'm not a 100% on that, sure I've converted them but never used a coil built for points on a engine built to use a magnetron coil... You can just cut the wires to the points and put a magnetron coil on the one with points.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run [ 8 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main...

Briggs 14.5 OHV won't start [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Briggs 14.5hp riding lawn mower that when you try to start the flywheel won't turn or will make a slow turn and pause then another slow turn and stop. I cleaned the ground cables, replaced the battery, carb, and spark plug. Trying to jump across the solenoid doesn't work either so its not...

Briggs 18 twin [ 1 Answers ]

I have a MG Ward 18/42 Briggs twin, Having oil seeping from what appears to be the left cylinder base. Is the Jug removable or cast into the main block. Cylinder head looks easy enough to remove but the problem appears low end. Thanks rirog

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

View more questions Search