Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PaulaWelch3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 11:35 AM
    Craftsman Lawn mower will NOT start
    I have a Craftsman, Model # 917270821; 19.5 HP B&S; turbo Colled; Auto-42' cut. The mower was running and mowing great. I turned it off to add gas and now it will not start. The engine will turn over, but there is no "fire" from the plugs. Need help getting it started.

Thank you
    Paula
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 12:27 PM

I don't have all the numbers here for your engine.
    Model
    Type
    Code
    video_player
    THe ingintion coil may have gone bad os just a wire problem.

Lets check some things out: Possibilities here
    Loose ar bad plug wire
    Ignition coil wire is bad and grounding
    Ignition switch went bad
    Manegto
    Coil
    Diododes

YouTube - Lawn Mower Repair Ignition Coil Test

Check for a flywheel that is loose and not seating properly on the taper. This could result in no spark if the air gap between the flywheel magnet and magneto core is then incorrect. However, due to the close spacing, you would probably feel and hear serious scraping in this case.

Check for bad connections or defective wiring including faulty or water logged insulation

Electronic ignition - There is likely a single potted module which includes the circuitry and ignition coil. If anything goes wrong with this module, replacement is the only option. Once the wiring and resistance of the secondary has been checked, there are really no addition tests that can be performed on an electronic ignition module without special equipment. A defective ignition module will have to be replaced.

Breaker point ignition - Possibilities are bad, dirty, corroded, or loose points or points that are grossly out of adjustment, a bad condenser, or a bad magneto coil.

The magneto, like the ignition coil on an automobile, contains two windings:

A primary with a few turns of heavy wire.

A high voltage secondary with thousands of turns of super fine wire.
    In an automobile, the battery supplies the primary current; in a magneto, the magnet on the flywheel moving past the core at high speed acts as a generator and induces current in the primary.

As the magnets spin past the pole pieces of the magneto core, the points are closed and current builds up in the low voltage winding (and flux builds up in the core). At or slightly before Top Dead Center (TDC), the current (and flux) should be maximum and at this instant the points open. The flux then collapses (and the condenser (capacitor) across the points acts as a snubber allowing the current to bypass the open points and preventing arcing at the point contacts). This rapid decrease in flux results in coupling of the stored energy to the turn high voltage winding and results in up to 10,000 V or more at the spark plug.

(For EE types, this is somewhat similar in basic operation to the flyback converter in a switchmode power supply except that the moving magnet supplies the input power instead of the rectified AC line and the points act as the switch instead of a power transistor.)

The secondary will always be accessible for testing but the primary of an electronic ignition may be not be due to the electronic components:

Secondary: 3 K ohms (maybe a little higher but not open). Much lower would indicate a shorted winding.

Primary (if non-electronic and accessible): very low - guessing less than an ohm.
    Wires can break due to corrosion or vibration. This would result in an open winding - infinite resistance. Shorts can develop between adjacent windings or to the core. This may be detectable as reduced resistance but without knowing exactly what it should be, there is no way of knowing if a slight discrepancy represents a problem or just slight variations in design or manufacturing.

A more complete test would involve checking the 'Q' or doing what is called a 'ring' test and even more for an electronic ignition. This requires special equipment. Therefore, it is best to swap in a known good unit. They are not that expensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My tractor quit on me during my grass cutting. I have not been able to get it started. I've Changed the air filters, a new spark plug, a new solenoid, a new fuel filter, a new battery. When I put it on choke and try to start it, the engine turns but won't start. After that,all I hear is the...

Craftsman lawn mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a craftsman riding mower that will not start.I put a new ignition switch that I got from sears on it and still will not start.The battery is a good battery all charged.I checked the fuse and it is OK also.I have no ideal what to do next,as I am a women trying to do this myself.Please any...

Craftsman Lawn Mower will not start [ 2 Answers ]

The lawn mower which was working fine, now will not start. The engine currently will not crank. We have replaced the battery, checked the oil and gas. Appear to be fine. We have checked the safety switch and it appears to be working. What would you recommend as the next thing to check? ...

Craftsman lawn mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a craftsman LTX 1000 42" cut with 20 HP ohv intek engine. I was cutting my grass the other day and stopped and turned off the mower about halfway threw the job,about 15 min latter I went back to finish the job and it would not start.:eek: I tried letting it cool about 3hrs and that did not...

Craftsman Lawn Mower Won't Start [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn mower (Briggs and stratton 650 series/6.50) just bought 3 months ago won't start. Couple weeks ago I realized I put too much oil and it was smoking all over, reduced the oil and I was able to do my work. Today I tried over and over to start it and it will only kick and stop but the machine...

View more questions Search