Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hedgehog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 12:18 PM
    Please help - source of smell in basement?
    Hi there, I am new to this board and would appreciate your help. We have had a bad sewer smell come and go from our basement - and the smell comes up into the rest of the house. We use the bathroom down there daily, so it's not a case of dried up p-traps, or whatever, and the smell is not in the furnace room where the drain is. The house is 80 years old, and has a wood floor in the rec room - which is where the smell is - could it be that there is another drain under there that was covered up? That seems like such a stupid thing to do. Anyway, I am certain it is sewer gas we smell but have you ever heard of more than one drain in a basement? Thanks for any comments you might have.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 26, 2006, 09:02 PM
    You may install as many floor drainsin abasement as the builder figures he will need. My bet is that when you take up the rec room floor you'll find a floor drain with the water seal evaporated that's generating the smell. When you find it, pour a quart of motor oil down the floor drain. The oil won't evaporate and you can cover the floor drain back up. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic smell in basement [ 1 Answers ]

OK... I want to start by saying I have done my homework over the past several weeks and several times thought I had this problem licked. I consider myself a handyman but this problem has got me stumped. We moved into this house in June 2005. In late October 2005 my wife and I noticed a foul...

Sewage Smell in Basement bath [ 6 Answers ]

We moved into this house last February. The house uses a septic tank which is located itneh front yard. Teh lot slpoes downwards towards the back. As a result, the basement bath is located lower than the septic tank. In the last 2 or 3 months the smell has become unbearable. We rarely use...

Basement Drain Smell When It Rains [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a house 2 years ago and have been very good about making sure the drains in the basement do not go dry. We add water every couple of weeks and have even added vegetable oil to prevent evaporation. We've also tried flushing bleach through it. Despite this, we get the bad P-trap smell....

Gross Basement Bathroom Smell [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We recently had a bathroom installed in our basement and it is smelling the house up completely. The sewer smell is coming from both the toilet and sink. What could it be? The color of the water is fine. The toilet seems to be flushing fine although sometimes I find that there is a lack of...

Basement Shower Smell [ 3 Answers ]

This sounds like a lot of your previous questions but none of the scenarios match up. I have a shower in the basement of my 1928 house. I bad smell is coming from the drain. It looks like the drain doesn't match up with the 3-4" cast iron floor pipe and they used concrete to direct the water over...

View more questions Search