Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarikMom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 10:13 AM
    Old Man Akita using House for toilet
    Hi,
    So I know that dogs don't like to be left alone, especially Akitas. However, our 10 year old akita has decided, especially since our baby was born nearly a year ago, that he's mad and is going to keep peeing and pooping in the house. He's seen a vet and there's nothing "wrong" with him except him doing his business in the house. We take him out before we leave, he does everything and then we leave for a little bit. Now I'm talking 3 hours tops. We've gotten to the point where we have to block him out of our upstairs part of the house because he pees in front of out bed, and blocked out of our living room because he pees and poops on our son's things. To top it all off, he now knocks over the gates to go in and do it! I don't know what to do here. I just had to throw out another rug to day because he pooped in the living room again. I need help advice something. I wish I could take him everywhere with me, but I can't. I also can't stay home all of the time because the dog doesn't want to be alone. I'm really sorry about the long post, but I'm ready to pull my hair out over this. He's driving me crazy!
    HHHHEEEELLLLPPPPP!!
    TrioKIT Posts: 13, Reputation: -1

Nov 5, 2006, 08:47 PM
    Ahh!

This is funny because my cat does something kind of similar. I leave on the weekends for about a day occasionally. During the time I'm gone I can count on having something peed on.

I have two other cats so she's not completely alone which leads me to think that she gets stressed when I'm gone as well as angry that I left not just lonely. Things I've tried
    I have gotten a neighbor to stop in and pet her and play with her for a while,

I've installed a kitty door to my (really really) small back yard,

I've left little bits of catnip and hard treats she likes round the house to keep her happy and involved in finding the morsels,

I've tried Buying these balls from a pet store that have holes in them you put food in there and this is supposed to keep you're pet interested in getting the food out (which normally takes a couple of hours).

These have all worked and I only get an occasional pee.

(I think getting a gate that has some sort of loud annoying buzz that goes off for a couple of seconds when pushed or shoved. This might help teach your doggy that there's a kind of punishment for running through gates.)

I hope a few of these things work for you

:D
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2006, 04:42 AM
    If you look at some of my past answers to people with similar problems with younger dogs, you will see I usually suggest a combination of leadership, watching the dog carefully, and crating it when nobody can watch it. I am afraid he has been top dog for 10 years, and it will be tough for you to take your rightful place now. I doubt he will adjust to a crate now either. You might try leaving him on a tie down, a short length of chain with a snap on the end. Carefully clear away anything he could damage. Choose a hard surfaced floor. Make any bedding you leave him easily washable.

When you are around, use gates or closed doors to keep him where you can see him. Never leave him alone with your child. Some say never leave any dog alone with a child. I am not that extreme, but a dog that has shown it thinks it is top dog and resents the child is not to be trusted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet empties when different toilet flushed [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a confusing problem.I just installed a new toilet in place of an existing one. The promblem is when I flush the new toto toilet, my other toilet bowl almost completely empties.. The 2 toilets are basically back to back, and use the same vent pipe through the roof.(3 inch copper).No pipes...

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

Akita won't eat [ 14 Answers ]

My 10 year old Akita just had three masses romoved from his stomach along with half his stomach and a portion of his pancreas. He not eating in the hospital so they want me to bring him home tomorrow to see if maybe he will eat at home. Although at this time we do not know if the masses are in...

Who gets the house? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married 1 1/2 years. We bought a house in April 2004. The loan is only in my name because his credit is horrible but his name is also on the deed. He has been lying to me about large amounts of money received and spent from our joint checking account and I am thinking...

House [ 1 Answers ]

If you file for bankruptcy can you lose your home

View more questions Search