Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peric Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 08:12 PM
    Unsealing ABS cement
    Does anyone know if I can unseal ABS cement? If so with what. I goofed and I am two inches too short and want to take my drain apart. THANKS FOR ANY HELP!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 08:23 PM

Nope. It's a solvent weld system.

There are special drills that can allow you to re-use a fitting once it is cut off and there are repair couplings.

You now have a case of 20/20 hindsight and you now know the importance of dry fitting and measuring twice and cutting once.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 08:24 PM

Hi peric

The cleaner and cement make the ABS one piece. U will have to cut pipe or fitting out.

Use a cuplink to extend piping. Dry fit it first to make sure u have right length.

Good luck

Chuck
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 9, 2009, 06:00 AM
    Hi all..

As KISS mentioned... they make a RAM-BIT that fits in a drill and can ream a fitting out so it can be reused. These will only be found at a plumbing supply house... see picture.

MARK
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 9, 2009, 07:52 AM

Yeh, but even that: why complicate the issue ? Why don't you just cut it off, use new fittings and pipe, reglue - and you are done in 2 minutes . ABS is cheap and fittings can be purchased in local hardware store. :D

Why spend money for special tools that you will use once in your lifetime ?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 9, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Geez Milo... if it was that easy I would hope that PERIC would have done that... ;)

However, you raise good point about the cost and use of the tool. If at all possible I would also encourage peric to simply cut the wall or the floor open a bit and install coupling...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I used pvc cement instead of all purpose cement [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced some old pipes with cpvc and then realized that the cement was not all purpose, just pvc. Will it hold?

Abs vs pvc cement [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is OK to use 'abs' cement on pvc pipe? I accidentally picked up a can of abs cement at Sears, which was right above the pvc fittings we were buying. Will

Pvc cement [ 4 Answers ]

How do I remove a 3 inch section of pvc from a 3 inch to 1 inch reducer that I solvent welded together

What I under cement [ 4 Answers ]

I nede to know what is under cement, I found some fuzzy white hair underneath all the cement at my local city park where the cement was cracked. Please tell me what that was thank you:D

View more questions Search