Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BluCollar Guy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 06:42 AM
    Cub Cadet 2135 won't start
    Kohler 13hp in a Cub Cadet 2135 Yard Tractor. New: carb, oil(and filter), spark plug. Cleaned and lubed. Ran great the first mowing after maintenance, about halfway through the second mowing, started chugging and vibrating oddly(an odd sound, almost like a loose hood or side cover, but not exactly), PTO off, calmed down, leveled mower, PTO back on, same thing. Tried letting cool for about 15 minutes, started fine, PTO on, same thing. Let sit for 30 minutes, now won't start at all, not even an attempt to fire. Has spark(though it seems to be a constant white spark), checked compression(is good), and looked at valves(moving fine). Thinking ignition module, any other ideas?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

May 8, 2009, 02:34 PM

Hi,
    Sounds like a failed spindle on the deck. Say that because it acts up then. Try checking the blades(and spindles for easy rotation) with the engine off. If it has an electric PTO clutch, there will be some resistance, but it should be uniform. If it feels rough and different at any point then it is time to get the belt off the clutch to verify which has failed. Usually available as a unit, but only from a Cub Dealer. May be aftermarket options.
    Peace,
    Clarke

May 12, 2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the reply crigby.

I had originally thought there might be an issue there as well, but when it refused to start at all after giving it cool down time the second time, I figure that's not it. I found some notes about testing the ignition module, and will pull it and try it and see what I get.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

May 12, 2009, 02:07 PM

Hi,
    Might try simply a new plug. That engine is also famous for sheared flywheel keys if they are shut off at full speed. Will still have fire, just at the wrong time.
    Peace,
    Clarke

May 12, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Might try simply a new plug. That engine is also famous for sheared flywheel keys if they are shut off at full speed. Will still have fire, just at the wrong time.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    You know, it's a new plug so I hadn't thought of trying another just to make sure it was good. Will do, thanks for the suggestion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1200 cub cadet won't start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Cub Cadet, model 1200 lawnmower. With spring arriving, I am trying to get it ready to go. However, it won't start. There is no spark. I replaced the plug, and am still receiving no spark. Next, I put a new coil on, and still no spark. Anyone have a suggestion as to how I might proceed....

Cub Cadet PTO problems [ 2 Answers ]

:( We have a Cub Cadet 1050 LT, we recently replaced the PTO belt. When I start mowing, if I am going slow, everything is fine, as soon as I speed up, the PTO shuts down. I have to re-engage the PTO and drive super duper slow. Anyone have an idea?

Cub cadet 1800 [ 1 Answers ]

My cub cadet makes a noise in the transaxle when I am going up hill and stops moving it sounds like a grinding noise can anyone help?

Cub Cadet 1200 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys it's me again! I recently traded around for an older Cub Cadet 1200, seems I over looked some problems but am happy over-all with my trade. My question is what does it mean when 1st starting the engine it smokes blue for a couple of minutes and then clears up. Valves? Rings? It...

View more questions Search