Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daughter-in-law Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Father in law died leaving a $46,000.00 home equity loan
    My father in law passed away 7 months ago without a will. His wife predeceased him.He had a 46,000.00 home equity loan. There isn't any money, the only assets are the house,it's contents and a car. There is some small collections including some coins. My brother in law has been paying this loan and has not notified the creditor of his passing.He is also paying the homeowners insurance the car insurance and the real estate taxes.(these creditors were also not notified).What happens to the home equity loan when the borrower dies. If he notifies the bank and stops paying the loan until the estate is settled will fees and interest accrue or are we protected from added debt?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 06:49 PM

You cannot inherit debt. The estate is stripped of value and the lendor eats the rest of the balance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2009, 07:00 PM

The house and all property would be sold to pay off as much of the debt as possible.

The heirs do not owe anything beyond selling the estate to pay as much of debt as possible.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 07:17 PM

This information should be part of the public school curriculum. So should proper use of credit cards. Until I saw this post, my parent's debt was scaring the bejesus out of me. Thanks.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie View Post
    This information should be part of the public school curriculum. So should proper use of credit cards. Until I saw this post, my parent's debt was scaring the bejesus out of me. Thanks.
    Eh - its on the internet... that's at least as good as public school. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

New home addition -home equity loan or remortgage [ 1 Answers ]

I am 54yrs old and have only 3 yrs left on mortgage.. I want to put on a new addition to house and looks like I will have to borrow $80,000.. Do I want to do home equity or remortgage? I would like to retire in 11 yrs or less

View more questions Search