Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adminmngr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Salaried but sometimes paid Hourly
    I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me. I am currently a salaried employee. If you miss any days and do not use your PTO for those days, can the company turn around and pay you hourly? Also, if the company handbook states that you can use your PTO in increments of 4 hours, can the company demand that you use 8 hours for missing a whole day? I appreciate any in-site on these subjects. Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 6, 2009, 12:24 PM

If you are paid on a salaried basis you cannot be docked for a partial day. But you could be docked for a full day.

If you work 4 hours and use your PTO for four hours that would be OK.
    adminmngr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 12:35 PM

I guess that being Salaried means nothing if they can dock you for a full day that you missed. I thought the whole purpose of salaried was to get the same pay every week no matter how many hours you work. Am I wrong in assuming this?
    puppylove08 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 12:37 PM

When I was a salaried employee, if I missed a day, they would average out my salary to what I make per hour, and dock me for that day, so in essence during that week, I was being paid hourly.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 6, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adminmngr View Post
    I guess that being Salaried means nothing if they can dock you for a full day that you missed. I thought the whole purpose of salaried was to get the same pay every week no matter how many hours you work. Am I wrong in assuming this?
    Yep, you are incorrect. A company does not have to pay you if you don't work. But if you are salaried they cannot dock you on an hourly basis.

To Puppylove.

What they did was figure your DAILY salary and dock that. So you were still paid on a salaried basis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing from salaried to hourly rate? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I begin the process to change salaried, exempt store managers to hourly, non-exempt store managers?

Changing Salaried Employees to hourly [ 1 Answers ]

Good day, As a small business owner I was forced to make expense cuts to keep my doors open. The biggest impact was compensation. It was either lay off employees or make severe pay cuts. I changed my employees pay from salaries to hourly pay. My plan is to do this until sales pick up and I...

Hourly employee, paid on an salaried pay schedule [ 1 Answers ]

I am an hourly paid employee, that is paid on the 1st, and 15th of each month. Each two week pay period I receive 80 hours regular pay. When I do the math, I come up with 1920 hours a year, when actually I am working 2080. I tell my boss that the current paydays (1st, and 15th) is for salaried...

Salaried vs hourly [ 1 Answers ]

My question regarding wages. If one is on salary, (set wages), then does that employee also get paid for any sick time? Or is that left up to the discretions of the employer? If an employee is on an hourly then I presume sick time is deducted.

Salaried vs Hourly [ 2 Answers ]

I am an administrative RN (ie Monday/Friday, 40 hours a week), however I am often asked to work extra shifts when the staff is short. I am currently an hourly employee so I am compensated for the extra time. My Administrator is making all admin nurses salaried. Shouldn't we expect a substantial...

View more questions Search