Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pagan_orlando Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 04:53 PM
    Dogs and cats!
    I have a 5 year old cat and she is very shy around other pets. I am getting a dog. What type of puppy should I get?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 04:59 PM

Sadly if she is shy, a rambunctious puppy is probably not going to help.
    That being said, try to find a breed that doesn't have high prey drive (ie avoid terriers, hounds, etc). Something small would probably be best.
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

May 4, 2009, 05:00 PM

Well, I don't know what dog types are best around cats, but please have the animals meet before bringing a dog into the house. It can cause a lot of stress to the cat. Especially if they hate each other, the cat will become stressed every time it sees the dog and that can actually affect the cat's health.

So please make sure the two animals get along before moving them in together. Otherwise you can have a lot of problems
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 09:52 PM
    I'm not sure where you are from,but the shelters around here want you to bring your pets to interact and make sure everyone gets along before you bring the adoptee home. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 02:05 AM

It really depends on the actual dog not just the breed.

I would opt for adopting an adult dog... spend some time with the dogs at your local shelter and get to know which one has the right personality for you and your kitty :)
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

May 6, 2009, 01:30 AM

Try letting your kitty pick the dog. My male cat brought home a puppy the other day, I had to take it back to the owners. He showed up again that is when I noticed they didn't keep the puppy in their yard or supervise it when it was outside. I took the puppy back and told the owners that my cat kept bringing it home because it wasn't in its yard. Sorry to ramble but my cats picked our dogs that we have had.:p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dogs and cats [ 4 Answers ]

Someone sent this to me in my email and I had to share. DOG DIARY 8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing! 9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing! 9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing! 10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing! 12:00 PM - Lunch! My favorite...

Cats and Dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I happened to see my ex (who dumped me a month and a half ago) today, and also my cat who ran away a long time ago. It suddenly hit me that I like cats. They aren't very nice or affectionate, they expect you to do all the work (like a dog), and they're just so proud... My cat has become so skinny...

Dogs, cats, horses et al [ 8 Answers ]

I don't have any qualifications per se. My only claim to fame over the last few years and having reached the age of 65, that is at least a few, was and is and always will be healthy happy well excersed dogs; dogs that are real walkers because I am too. I don't have a specific breed I have...

Dogs and Cats integration [ 2 Answers ]

I have a dog that is 6-7 years old and two cats one is 5-6 and the other is 13. My cats have been living in our workroom (where all our tools are) and I want to move them into the house but my dog likes to chase cats. Do you think that they will be able to get along soon? :confused:

Dogs and cats repeller what do you have? [ 2 Answers ]

Dogs and cats repeller what do you have?

View more questions Search