Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calgal410 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2006, 02:20 PM
    Lawn mower oops
    My neighbor borrowed my murray self propelled 5.5 mower. She ran over something in her yard and so to remove it she turned it upside down and unraveled what ever it was. After that it wouldn't start. Being a woman I have never worked on a lawn mower. But I did replace the pleated filter(there was oil in it) and I replaced the spark plug... still nothing. It always started on the first pull What do I do?? Since my husband passed away it seem like everything is in need of repair. Please help:(
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2006, 02:13 AM
    Yep that was a oops, never towards the carb or upside down... lol,

The filter is good now, make sure the oil is fresh and to the full mark! (around 20 ounces to fill it when its drained empty) What happens is the oil will get eveywhere! If it got on the air filter, good chance its filled the carb with oil... take the carb bowl off (behind the filter) and drain the bowl (pinch the fuel line!) and reinstall it (make sure the bolt is good and tight) and it may need some gas down the carb (take the filter off) for a minute till it runs on its own, she will smoke a lot!! But should calm down after the gas finishes flushing the oil out. Next time make sure she removes anything in her yard that can get hit, and handles to the ground to gain access under the deck (spark plug up in the air)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn mower help [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 18.5 poulan pro 42" 2 years old. It will start but no matter what I do it kills, like hitting the kill switch. If I let out the clutch, even in neutral it kills. Engage blades or anything it kills. And the weirdest thing is that the kill switch in the seat doesn't kill it. I really...

Looking for new lawn mower deck [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1993 Sears Craftman riding lawn mower 43" "Steering Machine". I need a new mower deck. Sears does not support after the mower is 10 years old. AYP made the original deck but they don't offer. Seems part of the issue is 43". The tractor is in great shape just need a new deck. Any...

Lawn mower problems [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn mower won't start. The rope won't pull, well, it pulled once them nothing. There is gas and oil in the appropate places.Help I want to mulch leaves.

B&S Lawn mower sqweals [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Briggs Sprint 3.75 engine on my mower. I was mowing my lawn, hit a rock and the thing just started making this horific noise. I don't know anything about fixing a mower but follow instructions pretty well. Can someone help?

View more questions Search