Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bopha Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Should forsake this friendship?
    Hey! I'm just like anyone else's that hope to untie the knot in the heart. Basically I'm in a dilemma whether to forsake a friendship with this best friend of mine named, D. We have know each other since grade 7, we attended the same middle school, one fact we didn't knew we were living in the district. It was after an incident, that we discover we were neighbour and this brought our friendship a step closer. We begin spending recess together, awaiting for each other after school to head home together. Doing homeworks and revision together at one another house. We even spend everyday of summer holiday together, be it hanging out, studies or simply lazing around at home. It was then, we share a strong bond that we knew we were the best of friends back then. We would share the darkest secrets and any woes or share were poured out among ourselves. We even shared a diary, where we took turns to write down our thoughts.
    At that period I knew I have found a friend that I trusted most in my life, a best friend!

At times I wish time would just stood still during those moments. Unfortunate, I was met with a mishap and have to undergo an eye operation in UK. When D learnt of the news, it was the first I have seen her cries. It was the first time she gave me a hug of comfort. It was the first card I have ever received from her. It was those strong feeling, that kept my mind positive to go ahead with the opt. I knew I wanted to be back home safely and to carry on my seeing wonders of the world with the encourage of my best friend.

Nevertheless, the opt was a success. I was so eager to get back home and continue the rest of my middle and senior school with the best friend of mine. Unfortunately, things seems to have changed drastically. It was merely a month that I was gone. D seems talk less and it feels as those there were barrels between us. I couldn't believe a merely 1 month period would affect our friendship so badly. Initially, I thought it was me being paranoid, and so I took the initiative to ask her out in the hope of catching things up, yet she turned it down. This was when I started to feel there is a transition going on between our friendship. I hope and wish I could do something to change the situation, but it would be hard if one is giving and the other party refused to receive, right? Soon, the gaps between us became bigger. We hard communicate, we no longer take the same route back home. Not Soon it became worse, she would not exchange any glance or smile of greeting each time we bump into each other. The feeling was intolerable, it felts as those your heart has been pricked by 1000 of needles. The old time seems to be buried deep down and forgotten. She doesn't seems to be affected by the drastic change in our friendship at all, while I felt foolish having to thinks of what was the cause of this out turn. I knew if I wanted to salvage this friendship I will have to take the first step, I didn't what was the cause, but I know all I wanted was to give love, care and concern to give her an assurance to this friendship. I wrote her letters and gave cards or mini gifts on occasions. But never once has she taken the thought to reply any of the letters. That was when I started to feel dishearten and with advice of friendship I wanted to give up on this friendship, when my mind is almost set on it. She started to send me a text. Just one single text kept me smiling and harbor hopes for days. And again she left and gave a cold shoulder.

After times of disappointments, I have told myself to move on and divert my focus onto my studies instead as it was my leaving school exam year. I was able to concentrate and everything went smoothly for the first half a year. Then came my birthday celebration, it was this occasion that left me surprise. She actually turned up for my birthday, she in fact offered to help and set up the ballroom that afternoon. The thing that touched me was when, I merely muttered that I have left my guest's list at home, she actually gone the extra mile by taking a cab home to get it for me without me knowing it. At that moment when she return with the list, I felt so touch. I felt as though the friendship between has re-lived.

Everything seems like a dream, never have I thought I will be able to get this friend back into my life after 2 years of. After that birthday, we begin to keep in contact once again. We started going to school together, we started mugging hard together for the exam. We went to the same tuition centre. We had crazy night out chatting, when were suppose to study. We shopped for prom dress. We went to many places together. We took many photos. Those couple of months seem to filled up all the lost time for the past 2 years. Those were the happiest moment of my life.

As life always being realistic, good times don't last forever. We both are pursuing a different education paths. She has since moved on to college last for months. Initially, we would text and meet up twice or thrice week. Slowly, it was once a week of text, twice or once a month to meet. I didn't put much thought, as I thought she would probably need time and space getting to know her new schoolmates and adapting to school environment. But now I would hardly hear from her. Doubts start to accumulate when 2 of my friends told me their opinions of the friendship. They said that, D doesn't seems to treat me like her best friend. And asked if I really think she worth concern and effort. For a moment I thought, when I give I don't expect anything in return.

Back to the question, whether I ought to forsake this friendship. I think I wouldn't want to forsake, but by holding it back deprive my best friend of the life she want to life or her moving on with something that will makes her happy. I know it is only right and I should let go. But how am I to do so.

I hope you will be able to help me by guiding me out of this dilemma through all of your advises. Though she has not mention anything, should I let go of things even before she say anything? Your advises would be much appreciated. Thank you :)
    Sphira Posts: 72, Reputation: 6

May 3, 2009, 03:46 PM
    Oh my gosh I am accutually crying

Back to the point I think one of two should set up an occasion to meet but don't expect too much she has hurt you bad in the past and there is a worry she'll do it again
    Givve her the chance though and if she doesn't take it move on he's a childhood friend there will be new friends at college studys to worry about and at the end of the road a person will to have a stoung relationship with you as more than friends

Don't know if I helped but I do try
    bopha Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 09:05 PM
    Thank you for your lovely advice. I thought no one would read the content of what I have posted, as I know it is very long and winy. Haha. But still I thank you and appreciate that you would take the time out to read and provide the great advice :)
    Sphira Posts: 72, Reputation: 6

May 8, 2009, 02:41 AM
    Ahh so cute I hope you do meet miss perfect in the future and don’t worry about the past

What did happen with her anyway? MISSING MISS PERFECT PLEASE FIND!

Jks but tell me about it I'm interested now
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2009, 08:17 AM

Sadly so often grade or Jr high or even high school friendship stop or break for little if no reason.

It can happen from lies others tell, from assumptions made, or afraid to say things.

Talking to them and trying to be the same friend si all one can do

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When a friendship goes to far [ 12 Answers ]

Does anyone think that it's normal for a married man who's 35 to have a frienship with a 20 year old co worker girl for them to text page one another and call each other, also when the wife goes to the job and then she sees his wife and she gets very upset and storms out of the job and slams her...

Can a friendship come out of this? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all. Ive posted many blogs here about me and my ex.I have to say that finally am stress free?I over my ex!! And its all thanks to this site. Just to give you a heads up on what's going on my ex still calls me every other day. I wonder why? We haven't seen each other for 3 months but there's not...

Getting Over The End Of A Friendship [ 2 Answers ]

I've decided recently that one of my friendships has deteriorated to the point where it is in my best emotional interest to cut it off. I can't stop being angry at him for taking advantage of my friendship but I'm too much of a coward to tell him I never want to speak to him again. Has anyone...

Looking for friendship. [ 14 Answers ]

:confused: I live in WV and in a community, I'm sorry to say is where I can't make friends. I swear to the Lord above that the people here are back-stabbing, liars, gossipers and drunks. My husband is in jail. I've been in WV for seven years and all I've done was work. I am not working now and...

Does he want more than friendship? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been friends with a guy for just over 4 months now, we met off the internet. He always texts me every week, and we usually go the movies and dinner. We get on really well together and have a lot of fun. The thing is, he's a very touchy feely guy and always has been for the time I've...

View more questions Search