Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mlten Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Painting a brown brick patio white
    I would like some advice on whether I can paint a dark brown brick patio white. We live in Miami and the brick gets very hot when the sun hits it mid-day. We thought painting it a white would stop it from getting so hot. If you agree, what paint do you recommend using and if you disagree, what do you recommend doing which does not cost a large amount. You should also know the patio surrounds a pool.

Thanks

Mel
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 4, 2009, 07:00 AM

Changing a patio from brown to white will be much cooler. Getting the paint to stick to brick is the trick. You are welcome to try it but I think you will have a new yearlky maintenance issue with chipping and peeling paint. I would do a small test with Dryloc paint. UGL - DRYLOKŪ Masonry - Masonry Waterproofer
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 06:11 PM

Aside from bals good advice how big is the patio and are the brick set in mortar?

Hmmm brown brick by a pool in summer in Florida of all places for sun and heat Ouch!

I see a real problem here with paint as bal suggested.

How about regular stamped concrete ,no color added? ( trying to get that to take here for pools"global Warming)

I don't know how long you are going to live there but flat brick painted with sun and chlorine, I think this is all trouble and a maintenance nightmare not to mention the look it will have.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

May 4, 2009, 10:04 PM
    I used to live in Baltimore. People there used to paint their brick row houses. The local hardware stores sold specially formulated brick paint. I remember it was thicker than regular house paint, and required frequent repainting.

I agree with everyone else about painted brick becoming a big maintenance problem, especially on a deck surface, which is exposed to sunlight, water and pool chemicals.

The cheapest route may be to just put up a large umbrella, or awning if it is close to the house.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 5, 2009, 01:54 PM

You might look into a masonary stain that is whiteish semi transparent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to clean red brick patio [ 1 Answers ]

How to clean red brick patio

Removing Mortar on top of Brick patio [ 1 Answers ]

How can I remove mortar that the brick layers got on the top of our brick patio. It is not all over, but enough that it needs to be removed.

Concrete/Brick Patio [ 1 Answers ]

We're laying brick next to a 10x10 concrete slab. Is there some sort of paint/stain that can be put onto the concrete to make it look closer in color to the brick? Is it possible to create patterns?

White stuff on red brick patio [ 4 Answers ]

Its powdery, white and I can't get rid of it. What is it and how can I get rid of it?

Cleaning brick patio/walkway [ 3 Answers ]

I have a large brick walkway that, during the winter, gets real slimy and slippery. Rather than have it steam cleaned every year, is there something, such as washing detergent or the like, that I could apply to the bricks and scrub them clean with a stiff broom? I live in Portland, Oregon, where...

View more questions Search