Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheerladybug Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Redoing rusty outdoor furniture
    I have a set of outdoor furniture that started rusting the first year I bought it and it sits
    Under a roofed, enclosed porch. The rust was not flaky or blistering so I put primer
    For rusty metal on it and then repainted it last year. It is rustier now and my paint is
    Peeling off in places. Needless to say, my daughter bought the same set and hers is still
    In perfect condition and hers is exposed to the weather. I think I bought the "lemon"
    Set. How can I restore this as the set is still in perfect condition except for all the rust.
    You can actually see rust through the glass table top where the table legs are attached
    Too. I think the company failed to do part of the finishing process on my set. How can
    I fix this ugly mess?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 08:38 PM

You may not be able to keep the paint on it at least cheaply.

The reason I say this is I had a job site like that. I used top grade paint. I also used 25,000 pounds slag blasting. What I found out was some of the steel was fine but some of it came fro Poland.

Many eastern block countries have a large amount of salt in it compared to other steel not to mention the best still on the planet was U.S. steel. There is an acetone to help make the rust become inherit. I use Extends which actually eats ans changes the rust not cover it.
    sheerladybug Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    You may not be able to keep the paint on it at least cheaply.

The reason I say this is I had a job site like that. I used top grade paint. I also used 25,000 pounds slag blasting. What I found out was some of the steel was fine but some of it came fro Poland.

Many eastern block countries have a large amount of salt in it compared to other steel not to mention the best still on the planet was U.S. steel. There is an acetone to help make the rust become inherit. I use Extends which actually eats ans changes the rust not cover it.

Thanks 21boat... where do I find the Extends product and do I have to apply primer
    Again before I repaint? Thanks for your prompt answer.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 09:43 AM

Sorry for the delay. You can find in an Ace Hardware store/ Auto parts/ And I think the big box stores has it. Its also a primer

If its really bad I would heat gun off the paint and clean it up and then Extends for the primer. You need to get the old paint off completely at this point. If not primer over what looks OK now will haunt you later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mildew on outdoor furniture [ 1 Answers ]

The plastic outdoor furniture mildews bad. I clean it with bleach and it looks good, but not for long. The mildew comes back and I am afraid the bleach is damaging the furniture with so much cleaning. Anything else that might help and last longer?

Redoing hardwood flrs [ 8 Answers ]

I live in house built in/around 1955's I pulled carpet found hardwood floors in pretty good shape just areas were coating covers and protects staining also staining color varies in tint due to aging But my question is that I want to change stain color to a much darker stain what is involved in...

Protecting outdoor painted wooden furniture [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting a wooden table for outdoor use. Once I've painted it, what coating, substance, or product do I put on the paint once it's dry to protect the table from the elements?

Protecting painted outdoor furniture? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know what is the best way to protect painted wood from the elements? Normally on bare wood I would use spar urethane,but they say not to use that on painted surfaces.

View more questions Search