Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ewancolin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 09:34 AM
    To make a flower bed on what is now lawn.
    We have a lot of lawn that my husband is finding to hard to mow and the grass is poor quality. I would like to make a large flower bed, using some rock and bushes to take its place. I want to do cheaply and want to know if I can just put the black polly over it and leave the grass to die underneath it. I know I can get some one to remove the grass but it is pretty expensive but I also do not want to make an area that is going to be even harder to keep looking nice
    Thnks sandy
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 12:32 PM
    I've never heard of that, I always just removed the grass myself.
    I think you would have to kill the grass first. I have never been able to just smother grass, it seems to want to grow through no matter what.
    I can't wait to see the rest of the answers, to see if I have been wasting my time pulling grass up.:(
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 2, 2009, 06:16 PM

The best way would be have someone remove the grass with a sod cutter and dispose of it. Fill the removed stuff with topsoil. This is your best option.

Killing the roots with a product like round up, but that doesn't make the job easier.

Roto-tilling works, but then you have to manually remove the grass roots.

Lawn fabric doesn't prevent grass from growing It's water permiable. It just slows the growth quite a bit.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

May 3, 2009, 11:03 PM
    You just need to cover the grass with something it won't grow through... black plastic or heavy cardboard are the easiest, and you should be able to get the cardboard for free.

Sounds like you have a dry area, with hard soil, that's why the grass won't grow? If so, make sure you get low maintenance, drought resistant plants for your flower garden, or else you just replace one problem with another.

Another solution would to be tilling in some good topsoil.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 5, 2009, 05:24 AM

I scim the grass off with a spade. It is quite easy to do. Or else I buy a load of topsoil and build it up where I want the garden (I love raised and mounded flower beds).

Tick
    walterp16 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 11:50 AM

I agree with ohbob. I have done this with black plastic. It helps if you wet the area very well and then cover with black plastic. Weigh the plastic down real well so wind doesn't blow it away. After a month or so, peak under and see if you like the results. Grass should be mostly dead and much thinner. Ground will be easier for turning over and adding a little top soil and peat or if you have compost, even better.
    ruthmarx Posts: 41, Reputation: 10

May 13, 2009, 09:30 AM

I have used the black plastic for small areas. I have also used concrete blankets for large areas. Since I live in the SW and have hot, hot intense sun, it is also very fast. This works great for weedy areas that are overwhelming. And no chemicals!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snow Flower [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, so me and my girlfriend are going through some kind of rough times. Were kind of on the rocks you could say. Anyway, for this valentines day I wanted to get her something she will always remember. A flower. You laugh but its more in depth than that. I've heard of flowers that could grow through...

Flower arrangement [ 11 Answers ]

I want a simple flower arrangement but I can't figure the colors I can use so it looks good my walls are kind of a greyish green, my second color is a red that leans more to wine red, I have some black accessories I look at colors in the hobby stores but nothing comes to me for a color...

Name of flower [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, :) I was hoping that someone here could help me identify a specific flower. I have searched everywhere that I can think of but have had next to no luck. The only thing I have come up with, while searching random descriptions of the flower, is this link, Baby Brain Flower on...

Stock flower [ 1 Answers ]

What is the flower stock?

Moles in my flower bed [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone have a surefire way to get rid of moles? I know about the spikes and repellants. I want to elimanate them like Bill Murray in "Caddy Shack", but would prefer to not use anything explosive. (Just kidding). Would appreciate any tried and true remedies. Thanks. Dave.

View more questions Search